We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Reset of search filter after uninstallation

Ask, answer questions, and express your opinion about Uninstall Tool. Discussion of found bugs and problems, feature requests

Moderator: Steven

smith.jane67

Reset of search filter after uninstallation

Post by smith.jane67 »

Lately I've noticed a problem with Uninstall Tool. You make a search, reults are displayed. Then you refresh - search results get wiped. This is not good. I may need to uninstall a prograsm, then reinstall it and refresh. And I expect to see the same program in the list. Instead, my search results get wiped on refresh. If I will want to wipe my search results, I can do it myself, yes?

In some old version search results were not getting wiped on refresh. Please bring this feature back. Power users, developers - we often perform tests that require multiple reinstallations of the same program, and we definitely don't want to search for it every time.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Refreshing erases search results

Post by Steven »

smith.jane67
Are you using version 3.3.3?
http://www.crystalidea.com/downloads/un ... _setup.exe
smith.jane67

Re: Refreshing erases search results

Post by smith.jane67 »

As in another topic, I got confused again, you will have to excuse me. What I mean is that after the program is uninstalled search results get wiped, not after refresh.

Why this is terrible? I may have about 5-10 programs that share similar names (like company name, for example - "Adobe *****"). I would like to find them all, and uninstall them all. But after I understall one, search results get wiped, and I have to search again. In some old versions search results were not getting wiped after uninstall.

Tested this on the latest version right now, the problem still exists.

Example:

Old version: You do a search for a program, like "Adobe", and it finds all Adobe products, and you uninstall them one by one.
New version: Search results get wiped after uninstallation of any program. Want to uninstall 5 Adobe products? Search for "Adobe" 5 times.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Reset of search filter after uninstallation

Post by Steven »

Search filter does remain after uninstallation (of cause if you're using the latest version of Uninstall Tool: 3.3.3)
smith.jane67

Post by smith.jane67 »

You so confused me by saying there is no problem that I had to download the latest version and give it a try again. I said everything right the first time. Here is a video of the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roHvqleohQQ

Users should be able to refresh search results without wiping them out.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

smith.jane67
Ok.

Why does one need to search then refresh (with saving the filter)?
smith.jane67

Post by smith.jane67 »

Steven wrote:smith.jane67Why does one need to search then refresh (with saving the filter)?
Because I may, for example, have all Adobe products listed. Then install a new one and refresh, having it added to my existing search results. Some items may not even disappear from the list after being uninstalled until it is refreshed (happens with some badly coded uninstallers, although that is rare).

Particulary for me - I often test the installers I write. I uninstall/reinstall program multiple times. You may need to uninstall and reinstall a program for any number of reasons.

And yes, okay, I would take that. IF old version did not have this feature before. But it did. Even if it was unintended, that was still a useful feature.
smith.jane67

Post by smith.jane67 »

In new version the bug is still not fully fixed. But it looks like it is fixed half-way:

Demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0sdhue1RlY
smith.jane67

Post by smith.jane67 »

In build 5350 it's still not fixed, there is one last thing left to fix: search results get wiped when there is only one item in the list.

Demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0TJmU1jvo8

As I mentioned, during testing, I may need to install/uninstall the same item multiple times testing my installer, and that one item should still stay in search results after refreshing. If I cannot keep monitoring (refreshing) one item, then what's the point?

I'm sorry to keep bugging you with this, but all this was working just fine in version 3.2.2. Maybe I am nitpicking, but it was a great (even if unintended) feature all along, and having lost something so useful is a regression.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Will be fixed soon :smile: