We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Uninstall Tool 3.0 Beta

Ask, answer questions, and express your opinion about Uninstall Tool. Discussion of found bugs and problems, feature requests

Moderator: Steven

Trashe1

Re: Uninstall Tool 3.0 Beta

Post by Trashe1 »

Trashe1
Sorry, not planning that at the moment.
I offered as an option for the future
eil

Post by eil »

by "i did it" i meant- exchanged original .exe with one from archive, but no .log created at the UT folder :unknown: that's why nothing to send. it may be problem with my system, but i have no clues what may be the cause. :Search:
Trashe1

Post by Trashe1 »

eil
try to delete the program and reinstall it
Last edited by Trashe1 on 03 Nov 2011, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

eil wrote:by "i did it" i meant- exchanged original .exe with one from archive, but no .log created at the UT folder :unknown: that's why nothing to send. it may be problem with my system, but i have no clues what may be the cause. :Search:
eil
Suppose only remote assistance can help in the issue :(
eil

Post by eil »

Trashe1, as it proposed it from the begining, i did it =no change.
Steven, it's just strange that trace-installation from UT interface seem to work fine, but context doesn't(in my case). i wonder if i'm only one experiencing that and all have successful from-context-trace? if so, it'll be utterly my system fault ;) (which is better than maybe some bug)
by the way, thanks for remote support email, but i don't really have trouble - i'm more interested in finding if it's a bug of UT, 'cause if it's system's fault i'll deal with it myself :smile:
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

eil
I believe it's an Uninstall Tool problem, so we do need to fix it before release.
Can you record a video??
eil

Post by eil »

i did the video but where to upload it?
Last edited by eil on 03 Nov 2011, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

eil
here
eil

Post by eil »

uploaded video + log of from-interface-install. sorry for compression, low frames and little mess with background colour.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

eil
Thank you! This will help, a new build will be free of your issue (I hope). Stay in touch
eil

Post by eil »

while testing i got 2 ideas of improvement -i understand it's not a time for this at all now, but should i post them here, or create new thread? one of them not just useful, but i'd say "ought to be" logically..
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

eil
Please post feature requests in new topics. Bugs/improvements can be posted here.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

eil
the reason of your issue is this:

eil
Build 5203 shouldn't show this RunAs dialog, but you should reboot your computer after Uninstall Tool update (in order to replace utshellext.dll)
eil

Post by eil »

Steven wrote:Please post feature requests in new topics. Bugs/improvements can be posted here.
i consider it as an improvement, not a new feature, so i'll describe it in example:
i trace-installed program for testing, then uninstalled it with UT, but when i was asked to mark leftovers to be deleted i accidentally pushed Cancel. then i decided to trace-install this program once more, to delete it again and get my chance to erase those leftovers. but after 2nd deinstallation UT didn't prompt me with any leftovers :( i consider it's be course those were left from 1st installation and were not included in 2nd one's trace.

after that i remembered UT's unregistered behaviour = it uninstalls program, but leaves leftovers to be deleted once registered = what if that be a feature? so user can save this list of leftovers to delete it later(for example if one is unsure to delete those) currently if you press Cancel while uninstalling, leftovers are gone(or better to say- stored on drive with no way to delete except hope for "cleaners") :no:
Steven wrote:Build 5203 shouldn't show this RunAs dialog, but you should reboot your computer after Uninstall Tool update (in order to replace utshellext.dll)
i'll test it when 5203 will come. :smile:

meanwhile, i've got 2 question:
1- when i use Registry Entry does UT opens it by system default program for .reg files or it directly addresses to regedit.exe?
2- if program was installed with no UT-trace, and then is uninstalled by UT, it searches for leftovers. if installation was done with tracing, then after unintallation UT instantly shows leftovers(i presume those traced only!). = so i consider that uninstalling traced-programs doesn't invoke "search" - but how about some leftovers, that could be created while using program after installation?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

i consider it as an improvement, not a new feature, so i'll describe it in example:
i trace-installed program for testing, then uninstalled it with UT, but when i was asked to mark leftovers to be deleted i accidentally pushed Cancel. then i decided to trace-install this program once more, to delete it again and get my chance to erase those leftovers. but after 2nd deinstallation UT didn't prompt me with any leftovers i consider it's be course those were left from 1st installation and were not included in 2nd one's trace.

after that i remembered UT's unregistered behaviour = it uninstalls program, but leaves leftovers to be deleted once registered = what if that be a feature? so user can save this list of leftovers to delete it later(for example if one is unsure to delete those) currently if you press Cancel while uninstalling, leftovers are gone(or better to say- stored on drive with no way to delete except hope for "cleaners")
I'm sorry, not really clear... You should always Uninstall previous version of the program before installing another. Install Tracker adds only NEW JUST CREATED items to the leftovers list. Currently Uninstall Tool removes leftovers only in registered version. But the user can save the leftovers directly from the trial dialog:

1- when i use Registry Entry does UT opens it by system default program for .reg files or it directly addresses to regedit.exe?
regedit
but how about some leftovers, that could be created while using program after installation?
very good question. The 3.0 beta does no scanning for traced items. But 3.0 final will have this feature (on the TODO list)
eil

Post by eil »

Steven wrote:I'm sorry, not really clear... You should always Uninstall previous version of the program before installing another. Install Tracker adds only NEW JUST CREATED items to the leftovers list. Currently Uninstall Tool removes leftovers only in registered version. But the user can save the leftovers directly from the trial dialog.
if i'm reinstalling -yes, but what if i'm uninstalling some program, and i mark not all leftovers to be deleted right away? all that is not deleted with that deinstallation process is left on drive and i have no abilities to clean it later =so next trace-install will lose those too. :(
mainly i'm talking about adding a button to leftover dialog to not only approve erase or cancel it, but to save it(like with trial version, but by wish).
if you'll be interested in providing this ability i'll post new thread with improvement for that too :D
Steven wrote:
regedit
it would be great if in some future versions it could be changed to user prefered reg-editor :oops:
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

eil
you mean to save not-checked leftovers to delete in future?
it would be great if in some future versions it could be changed to user prefered reg-editor
Not in 3.0 definitely. I'm sorry there's not much time for unpopular things like that.

PS. 5203 build OK?
eil

Post by eil »

Steven wrote:you mean to save not-checked leftovers to delete in future?
yes. it may be very useful as currently user has a chance to delete leftovers only once = all that was not marked will rest on a drive for who knows how long. for example me, rather often unchecking some of leftovers, always missed for ability to get to them later(or at least know what was left). those can be program settings, game saves, registration info etc.

it can be, like you said, automatic save of all unchecked leftovers, or an interface modification..

so user can choose to delete them(Finish), save them for later decision(Save), or leave them at all(Cancel).

or even like this: only Delete or Save -'cause Save works same as Cancel(not deleting leftovers), but yet provides "access" to them, so they don't get lost.
Steven wrote:
it would be great if in some future versions it could be changed to user prefered reg-editor
Not in 3.0 definitely. I'm sorry there's not much time for unpopular things like that.
that's ok, just proposed that for maybe some real distant future ;)
Steven wrote:PS. 5203 build OK?
no. :( same behaviour= prompt, alert, no trace-install.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

it can be, like you said, automatic save of all unchecked leftovers, or an interface modification..
ok, got your point. Added to the future TODO list
no. same behaviour= prompt, alert, no trace-install.
the file size of utshellext.dll (new version) must be 392 608 (x86)
did you reboot your computer?
eil

Post by eil »

Steven wrote:the file size of utshellext.dll (new version) must be 392 608 (x86)
did you reboot your computer?
392 608 =confirmed. reboot was done.