We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Tracing Program Installation that requires reboot

Ask, answer questions, and express your opinion about Uninstall Tool. Discussion of found bugs and problems, feature requests

Moderator: Steven

charlestek

Tracing Program Installation that requires reboot

Post by charlestek »

Many programs that I install require rebooting to finish installation. It appears that if I have to do that, tracing will not be completed.
Should I stop and save the trace before I tell the program to reboot and finish installation???

Thanks,
admin
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Tracing Program Installation that requires reboot

Post by admin »

charlestek
Looks like that's what you need
http://www.crystalidea.com/install-trac ... raced-data
charlestek

Post by charlestek »

admin,

Thanks, but this still does not make sense. So when the program gives me a dialog box to reboot, I'm supposed to save, and then after the reboot, I add an append? How could the uninstall tool know that any changes right after the reboot came only from the program I installed before the reboot?
Anytime there is a reboot there is the possibility that many other unrelated programs and things have an new altered state or updates, even from the task scheduler. How could the uninstall tool tell them apart?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

charlestek
So when the program gives me a dialog box to reboot, I'm supposed to save, and then after the reboot, I add an append?
exactly.
Anytime there is a reboot there is the possibility that many other unrelated programs and things have an new altered state or updates, even from the task scheduler. How could the uninstall tool tell them apart?
Normally an installer asks for reboot when it needs to replace some of files that are currently in use by the system. Unfortunately these files are often not tracked by Install Tracker.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Is there any chance the ability to watch system file modifications could be added some day? It would be a feature that i think would set your software apart from all the other uninstallers out there and be valuable for people who experience system stability problems after a new install. :)
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Skrell
I'm afraid no because of system stability issues. It's dangerous to delete system files because there can be programs that depend on them.