We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

No 'Uninstall Tool' Entry To 'Recently Used Programs' Panel

Ask, answer questions, and express your opinion about Uninstall Tool. Discussion of found bugs and problems, feature requests

Moderator: Steven

Bernard

No 'Uninstall Tool' Entry To 'Recently Used Programs' Panel

Post by Bernard »

Recently purchased 'Uninstall Tool' (v2.9.8) and 'AnyToISO' (v3.2.1).

Have successfully installed and run both.

'Uninstall Tool' does not create an icon and text name in the 'Recently Used Programs' panel of the Windows XP Pro (SP3) 'Start Menu'.

'AnyToISO' does create an icon and text name in the 'Recently Used Programs' panel of the 'Start Menu'.

The 'Recently Used Programs' list was cleared and 7 entry spaces (fields) have been set for recently used programs.

Started and ran 'Unistall Tool' to create its entry icon and text name in the 'Recently Used Programs' panel of the 'Start Menu'.

But no entry icon and text name gets entered in the 'Recently Used Programs' panel of the 'Start Menu'.

But other programs that are selected and run, create entries in the 'Recently Used Programs' panel upon first usage.

Anyone have a solution to this problem?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: No 'Uninstall Tool' Entry To 'Recently Used Programs' Panel

Post by Steven »

Bernard,

We cannot influence the way how Windows XP adds programs to the recent menu.
You can manually drag the Uninstall Tool icon to the Windows XP start menu (just below the E-mail shortcut for example)
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

I understand CrystalIdea doesn't have any control over how the 'Recently Used Programs' panel of the XP 'Start Menu' functions.

My question is why 'AnyToISO' creates a icon and name in the panel upon being run and 'Uninstall Tool' does not?

I can consistently clear the 'Recently Used Programs' panel list and run 'AnyToISO' once and it gets listed.

The same is done for 'Uninstall Tool' and it never gets listed.

I can do the same for my other installed programs and they get listed on first usage.

Just don't know why 'AnyToISO' does and 'Unistall Tool' doesn't.

They're both CrystalIdea products.

You would think they would both behave the same.

Any idea on why they don't?

It seems to me that they should.

Both 'AnyToISO' and 'Uninstall Tool' were installed using the same (identical) installation method.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Bernard,

The only idea I have is the difference between names. Probably Windows doesn't "like" the "uninstall" keyword.
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

That was the solution.

Apparently the XP 'Start Menu' algorithm for determining what's allowed in the 'Recently Used Programs' panel doesn't allow the keyword 'Uninstall'.

By changing the keyword from 'Uninstall' to 'Unstall' permits the 'shortcut' icon and name to be created in the 'Recently Used Programs' list.

The only other requirement was for the same 'shortcut' to remain on the desktop.

Not sure why that is, as other 'shortcuts' that show up in the 'Recently Used Programs' panel don't have to have an accompanying 'shortcut' on the desktop.

Just another quirk of XP that remains a mystery.

Anyway task of getting 'Uninstall Tool' to appear in 'Recent Used Programs' panel accomplished.

It now appears titled 'Unstall Tool 2.9.8' in the list upon usage of the application.

Appreciate the suggestion.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

No problem sir, the similar problem is under Windows 7
http://www.crystalidea.com/uninstall-tool-faq

PS. UTool sounds better than "Unstall Tool"