We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Showing wrong installation size

Ask, answer questions, and express your opinion about Uninstall Tool. Discussion of found bugs and problems, feature requests

Moderator: Steven

mopperle

Showing wrong installation size

Post by mopperle »

The tool reports a totally wrong installation size of programs. In total it reports 3.10 TB which is more then the installed drives. Some programs are reported to be over 300GB in size.
Running Uninstall 3.5.4.

Any idea?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Showing wrong installation size

Post by Steven »

Looks like it reports wrong size for one of your apps. You can locate it by sorting the list by occupied size. 
After locating, press Ctrl+R and tell us please make a screenshot of the entry in Windows Registry
mopperle

Post by mopperle »

This is an example where Uninstall gives me 339 GB, while Windows "Programs and Features" reports 63MB

Hmm, for some reason  I can not attach a jpeg file: Status: Failed to move uploaded file

Registry
Uninstall Tool
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Thank you for the report. Please try this build, it must work correctly now:
https://www.crystalidea.com/downloads/u ... up_fix.exe

Please press the Refresh button in the app (or F5)
mopperle

Post by mopperle »

Thanks Steve for posting the fix and it looks definitely better, but there are still a lot of discrepancies whn you look at the attached screenshot.
it shows the program sorted by installed size in the Uninstall Tool and "Programs and Festures)
Screenshot
Could the reason for this discreapancy be that for some programs there is no EstimatedSize entry in the according Registry Key?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Uninstall Tool always does calculations itself even if EstimatedSize exist in registry. 'EstimatedSize' is often wrong or not actual

Unfortunately, I don't see registry entry for Aerosoft apps, neither left panel in Uninstall Tool with Installation folder.
mopperle

Post by mopperle »

Steven, I guess I found the solution for this (finally not) weird behaviour in case of the Aerosoft product:
The product "Aerosoft's Malaga..." is installed into 2 subfolders in the rootfolder "G:\P3D\Ecosystem\Aerosoft". Same apllies to all other programs from Aerosoft. But the uninstall files for all these products are located in the rootfolder and not in the respective subfolders. The total size of the rootfolder is 55.5 GB and thats exactly what Uninstall Tool reports. So obviously it calculates the size of the folder where it finds the uninstaller.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Well, it appears to be correct I believe
mopperle

Post by mopperle »

Seems so. Found other programs, where the uninstaller is located outside the installation folder and therefore UninstallTool reports the total size of the folder where the uninstaller is located.
IMHO this is not a good idea as the reported installation size is anything else then reliable. And I see many programs not having an "EstimatedSize" value in the registry. So why not simply skipping this calculation, as it makes in my opinion currently not much sense?
mopperle

Post by mopperle »

additional note: after aplying your fix, an error is written in to the Windows Event Logs every time I start and close the Uninstall tool:
Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: UninstallToolHelper.exe, Version: 1.1.16.1, Zeitstempel: 0x5a1d53b6
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: unknown, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x00000000
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
Fehleroffset: 0x00790000
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x4e0
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d3742c01ecd10d
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: D:\Programme\Uninstall Tool\UninstallToolHelper.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: unknown
Berichtskennung: 954c27f2-c47a-42c8-8456-f8b32aee09ca
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: 
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: 
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

>>So why not simply skipping this calculation, as it makes in my opinion currently not much sense?

'EstimatedSize' can be faulty sometimes, manual background calculation is a pretty cool feature actually. It's in the app since 2006  :smile: 

Working on a fix for the error, thank you.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

New build 5572, no more errors should be in the Windows Error Log:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vue5zo0gnn2gn ... p.exe?dl=0
mopperle

Post by mopperle »

Still seems to be build 5571 on Dropbox
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer