We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Reboot & Install Tracker

Ask, answer questions, and express your opinion about Uninstall Tool. Discussion of found bugs and problems, feature requests

Moderator: Steven

K-Pax

Reboot & Install Tracker

Post by K-Pax »

I have lot of programs installed without Total Uninstall. During uninstall process
some programs need to reboot. Therefore, Total Uninstall can't
find/delete entries in folders and registry.

Happy new year

Kind Regards,

Peter
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Reboot

Post by Steven »

K-Pax
That improvement is already sheduled on future versions, thank you
itsonlyme

Post by itsonlyme »

Many I say that I find it easier not to reboot, allow the Uninstall Tool to do its thing, then exit it and reboot. Works for me. Cheers!
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

itsonlyme
:good:
iBenny

Installation Tracker dies through reboot ???

Post by iBenny »

Hi,

I was very :O: after a lengthy installation that ended with a "reboot" option to finish, that I selected, to find out that Uninstall Tool do not track installation trough the reboot process thus loosing all its tracking log for that installation :shock: ! Or am I wrong ? After the reboot, Uninstall Tool have'nt shown up so, I presume it... vanished and lost track of the installation !

This program is a great successor of the late INCTRL4 that did realtime installation tracking and produced a "comprehensive" installation log that we could consult. And it continued tracking the installation through a reboot !!! That's what Uninstall Tool should do. Please add this feature to the drawing board ! :D

INCTRL5 though lost it's realtime tracking feature to a pre/post snapshot comparison. The realtime tracking is definitively more compelling !

Good work though !

Benny

BTW, where does Uninstall Tool store it's installation trace log ?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Installation Tracker dies through reboot ???

Post by Steven »

Or am I wrong ?
Yes, it's true, click to learn more (will merge this thread with this one soon)
Please add this feature to the drawing board !
Already did! This will be definitely added to the next versions! (3.1 or 3.2)
BTW, where does Uninstall Tool store it's installation trace log ?
Well, you can save in the Install Tracker window, but the idea of unconditional saving is very good, we'll add it in 3.1: something like
%APP_DATA%\CrystalIdea Software\Uninstall Tool\InstallTracker.log
iBenny

Post by iBenny »

Hi.

many thanks for anwering :D !

The link you provided in posts #2 talks about post reboot uninstallation. I talk here about post reboot installation tracking. Please number your posts so that we can refer to them by number.

It would be usefull to ask the use to "name" the tracking log being currently... on duty before the start of installation; and also cutomize where does the user want to store these logs ! This implies that the user might want to store these logs in another folder so the program have to remember in an ini file where the user wants these logs to be stored :good:

Best regards, Benny
-------------------------

PS: you might want to have a look at an INCTRL5 trace log, to give you some... inspirations/ideas. INCTRL5 can make it html, txt or CSV:

Steven: I got the idea, thank you, the log is too long to save it here.
iBenny

Post by iBenny »

itsonlyme wrote:Many I say that I find it easier not to reboot, allow the Uninstall Tool to do its thing, then exit it and reboot. Works for me. Cheers!
Yes, but then you have the picture (trace) up to that point. You have no info about what was added/changed during/after the reboot !

Best regards, Benny
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

iBenny
Our log format is in the Install Tracker window, it can be saved to .txt
We're not going to change it at the moment. Current traced items are saved as XML at %APP_DATA%\CrystalIdea Software\Uninstall Tool\Traced

We'll do our best on solving the issue with applications that require reboot, but currently we're really focused on x64 native version of Uninstall Tool.

InCtrl 5 is almost 12 years old... :roll:
iBenny

Post by iBenny »

Steven wrote: InCtrl 5 is almost 12 years old... :roll:
That's why you program is very welcome... and great :good: !

Best regards, Benny