We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Install and Trace: Error 193

Ask, answer questions, and express your opinion about Uninstall Tool. Discussion of found bugs and problems, feature requests

Moderator: Steven

roger_m

Re: Install and Trace: Error 193

Post by roger_m »

That's good in theory, but not a very practical option considering that combined size of my Windows and Program Files folders (I'm using a 32 bit version of Windows, so only have only Program Files folder) is nearly 23GB.

Surely there is another option.

Also I fail to see how this problem may not be able to be fixed. It does not instill confidence in your software, if you are unable to fix bugs. I am well aware that the issue I have is not at all common, but I am most certain that it can be fixed.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

While i agree with roger_m that it sucks the only way to diagnose this bug is to send you guys an image of our entire C:\ i also don't think it's THAT big of a deal. We can still use this software by simply moving an exe we wish to install to a folder without a space in it. Personally, i'd rather the UT developers spent their time further developing the tool rather than work on this bug for a lot of time. The one feature i still feel this tool needs is the ability to completely remove win8.1 apps. THAT would be huge :)
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

@roger_m,
I'm curious about 1 thing, are you using a non-default windows shell such as Litestep?
roger_m

Post by roger_m »

Moving exe files so the install can be monitored is something I would never do. It's just too much of a hassle in my opinion. I also use Comodo Programs Manager to monitor installs, and what's excellent about it, is that every single programs you install gets monitored automatically in the background. There's never any need to manually start the monitoring, you just launch and installer, and the install is monitored autoamtically, with no user intervention required. I'm looking for an alternative, because CPM has some issues which will never be fixed since development stopped long ago, and also it does not officialy support Windows 8 or higher.

In my opinion, as a progammer myself, the issue we are facing could be fixed easily, and can be done without requiring an image of our PCs.

I'm using Classic Shell, but this won't be an issue as it only affects the Start Menu.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Skrell
roger_m
I do understand your concerns, it's not the best option for you. Currently we have 3 reports of this error for more than 3 years, it's not a big deal but I'm really curious to reproduce it.
the issue we are facing could be fixed easily
how? :smile: https://gist.github.com/kleuter/ac791320c8bc75f842a9

PS. We do not need any data from your C drive, you can clean-up everything from the drive image. Compressed image shouldn't be bigger than 10 GB and it's not a big deal to upload and download it today using some cloud storage (Dropbox, Google Drive, Mega, etc). We need this image to create a virtual machine.
Maybe you encounter this error on some clean machine (though I doubt it)...
roger_m

Post by roger_m »

Well it turns out there was an easy fix to the problem. Using Process Monitor, I monitored file access from Uninstall Tool when monitoring a program install from Downloads and also from the folder I created in C:\.

When it was trying to launch and monitor the installer located in the Downloads folder, I noticed that Uninstall Tool was accessing "C:\Users\User", when it should have been accessing "C:\Users\User Name\Downloads\installer.exe"

I had a look my C:\Users folder, and there was a file there named "User" I deleted the file (using Unlocker, as the file was locked), and after that Uninstall Tool was able to launch the installer.

The issue with was being caused by Windows rather than Uninstall Tool, as after deleting the "User" file, I was able to open the path C:\Users\User Name in Explorer by entering it into the Run dialogue box without quotes, whereas before, quotes were required.

I have some suggestions for improving Uninstall Tool. Where is the best place to discuess them?

Regards,

Roger
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Great idea roger_m!! So i also took a "capture" of the events that Uninstall goes through before it fails my install. Unfortuantly it doesn't appear as if i have the same problem as the paths i see mentioned are correct. I am not a windows programmer and there are a LOT of events that i capture in a single failure scenario. I do see multiple operations that don't succeed but i'm not capable of telling if that's ok or not. I'd like to post my captured operations if Steven would be willing to take a look at them?

PS: I did make a new install of WinXP in a virtual machine to see if the problem happens on a fresh install and of course it does not.
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

This operation worries me a bit:

11:58:52.2739328 AM UninstallToolExec.exe QueryNameInformationFile C:\Program Files\Uninstall Tool\UninstallTool.exe BUFFER OVERFLOW Name: \P
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

roger_m
Looks like it really depend on some other OS specifics.

1. I created a User "User Name"
2. Logged in
3. Created file "C:\Users\User"
4. Installation of "C:\Users\User Name\Downloads\anytoiso_setup.exe" starts fine in Install Tracker
Start->Run-> C:\Users\User Name opens the folder without spaces OK
I have some suggestions for improving Uninstall Tool. Where is the best place to discuess them?
Please create a new thread on this forum, thanks
PS: I did make a new install of WinXP in a virtual machine to see if the problem happens on a fresh install and of course it does not.
Looking forward to.
This operation worries me a bit
I don't think it's an issue.
I'd like to post my captured operations if Steven would be willing to take a look at them?
Please!
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

Ok try this Steven. It's a comma delimited file so you can throw it in excel and view the contents . It is quite large.

https://www.dropbox.com/l/KNjj6P9DGZDQuQd6fh3jJt
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Skrell
I see no tries of creating a new setup process in the log (just load the app and quit)
Did you try removing Stardock?
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

So i disabled stardock (no i didn't totally remove it) and it made no difference. How come i see so many operations involving various other programs uninstall.exe's ? Is it because UninstallTool is caching all the system's uninstallers in the background or something ?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Skrell
There's a cache of icons locations. We need a disk image, sorry. The log is useless :(
iBenny

Post by iBenny »

Hi!

I have the same problem since 1-2 weeks ! with UT 3.4.3.

I have 3 OS XP Pro on the same pc on diff partitions and, on XPro2 (one user) and XPro3 (two users), I can track installations on the desktop, but not on a program repository C:\Documents and Settings\moi\Mes documents\Téléchargements\Installé\2015. :%)

On XPro1, the first OS, I can't track installations on neither of the two !!! :O:

Have you found anything on the topic ?

Best regards,

iBenny
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

iBenny
I'm really sorry that you also have this issue.

The only thing that would help me to reproduce the issue is to have exactly the same Windows as you do.
And the only way to achieve it is to create a copy of your Windows drive using Disk2vhd utility. The disk image will contain your personal data, so please clean it by mounting the resulting .vhd file and removing all your personal data.
iBenny

Post by iBenny »

I resolved the problem !!! :Yahoo!:

iBenny
Skrell

Post by Skrell »

iBenny wrote:I resolved the problem !!! :Yahoo!:

iBenny
Please post the solution!!
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

iBenny
Yes, please
iBenny

Post by iBenny »

The solution came in this procedure :

When I was asked to send a mirror image of my partition in order to debug the problem, I decided to clean it first of all of it's programs startups in the Startup folder and in the registry Run keys. It amounted to more than a dozen programs. I used SysInternal AutoRun to do the job. I also disabled all services not related to my hardware in AutoRun.

After having done a clean rebot, I tested again Uninstaller Tool and... VOILÀ ! :Yahoo!: It was working again ! I reinstated all services in AutoRun, little bit at a time to identify the culprit and... no culprit in the services ! I did reinstated one by one all my startup programs in the Startup folder and the Run keys and... NO culprit there either !

It seams that only the procedure of disabling everything, rebooting, restarting UT will resurrect it ! You then reinstate all your suspended Startups and Runs and that does the trick !!! :Yahoo!:

Best regards

iBenny

PS : as of a reward, I would like you to consider a modification to UT that is : intercepting a reboot after uninstallating something in order to enable us to perform the "Forced suppression" feature ! There are two reboots that you should intercept : the auto-reboots, and the manual ones that we mechanicaly click on a popup asking window because we forget that it prevents us from doing the "Forced suppression" ! If at least the item would remain in UT in this situation so that we could do it after the reboot ! But NO ! It disappears and is no longer available :O:
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

iBenny
It's good that you've solved the issue. But it's not nice that we don't know which service (I beliebe it's a service, maybe an app) caused such problem

PS. Reboot stuff here