We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Install Tracker on Windows XP 64-bit

Ask, answer questions, and express your opinion about Uninstall Tool. Discussion of found bugs and problems, feature requests

Moderator: Steven

Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Install Tracker on Windows XP 64-bit

Post by Steven »

Dear Uninstall Tool users.

I'm sorry to tell that, but Install Tracker is not completely functional on the following operating systems:

- Windows XP x64
- Windows 2003 x64

To be more specific: It does not always tracks creating of registry keys. The problem lies in the 'CisUtMonitor.sys' kernel service and some architectural limitations of these systems (which are really too rarely used today, and will disappear completely after a little time). When uninstall keys are not tracked, Install Tracker will report that no installation entries:

..........................................................................................
11:55:41 Analyzing installation, please wait...
11:55:41 0 installation entries detected
..........................................................................................

If you love XP/2003 and Install Tracker - please use 32-bit XP/2003 or better use newer Windows system (Vista/7/8/etc).

April 2014 update: official Microsoft support of Windows XP is no longer available thus this issue will never be fixed.
Aleksey

Re: Install Tracker on Windows XP 64-bit

Post by Aleksey »

This is not a good news, especially because that incompatibility does not mentioned at product description since 2012.

Also it is not clear why you not support you commercial product :(

Yes, Windows XP (both x86 and x64) was killed and no longer supported (because without it MS do not have an ability to push new and awful version), but CisUtMonitor.sys is part of commercial and supported Uninstall tool.

Also it is quote strange that this issue was not corrected since 2012.

p.s.
Steven wrote: When uninstall keys are not tracked
Sorry I don't understand what a problem to check another registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Aleksey
The problem is not "advertised" due to extremely low % of XP x64 users, maybe you're even the only one who's left. Unfortunately the issue cannot be fixed due to architectural limitations of XP x64.

Windows XP is really deprecated, from the side of security, stability, support of modern hardware, etc. We can refund and terminate Uninstall Tool license of your order but really recommend moving to Windows 7 x64.

As for me, I've used Windows XP for so many years (10), so now using Windows XP theme on my Windows 7 x64:
http://satukoro.deviantart.com/art/Luna ... -136960235
:smile:
Aleksey

Post by Aleksey »

Steven wrote:Aleksey
Windows XP is really deprecated, from the side of security, stability, support of modern hardware, etc.
You should now that stability of XP is the best, security broken by MS (to push new products), and all quality manufacturers like Inetl and Nvidia still has XP x86 and x64 drivers.

We can refund and terminate Uninstall Tool license of your order but really recommend moving to Windows 7 x64.
No thanks. Also at work we have about 8000 workstations with 50/50 XP and 7, and there is no differences at stability and security (of course using firewalls and IPS). Only one reason to change to 7 and 8 -- that the MS stopped sell and support this system...

As for me, I've used Windows XP for so many years (10), so now using Windows XP theme on my Windows 7 x64:
http://satukoro.deviantart.com/art/Luna ... -136960235
:smile:
Probably you have one for 8? :smile:
Last edited by Aleksey on 12 May 2014, 10:46, edited 2 times in total.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Probably you have one for 8?
Not sure if such theme exists. We still do prefer Windows 7

Also I wouldn't survive without Classic Start menu on my Windows 7
and it also works on Windows 8/8.1