We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

[Feature Request] After-installation program tracing

Ask, answer questions, and express your opinion about Uninstall Tool. Discussion of found bugs and problems, feature requests

Moderator: Steven

orkwad

[Feature Request] After-installation program tracing

Post by orkwad »

Firstly, thank you for creating a program with useful features in a neat and simple package.
Secondly, thank you for being so responsive to user requests on this forum.

I'm very glad for the "Install and trace" feature, but I wish it could do a little more. I would like to be able to not only trace installations but also the activities of programs that have been installed. Perhaps I could manually associate Process Names (e.g gathered from task manager) with the CisUtmon service, and it could watch files and registry keys created by the installed program during normal usage.

At the moment I can run Install and Trace on some pre-installed programs, but since Uninstall Tool runs with elevated permissions, the program will try to read and write files inside C:\Program Files\Uninstall Tool\ rather than C:\Program Files\<program>\ where it belongs. If I attach the install and trace service to most programs, the Process is killed immediately.
orkwad

Re: [Feature Request] After-installation program tracing

Post by orkwad »

Another feature request: remember Install and Trace a Program Installation Progress window's position and size on the screen. Currently it opens as a small window in the center of the screen each time. This is a minor convenience issue.

Might be useful to do this for the main program window as well.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Thank you for your feedback.

Yes, we're going to add more features to Install Tracker in 3.4 version.

You can monitor custom processes (and its child processes) using Uninstall Tool interface, it will create custom entries in the list.

Monitoring of process by name is not safe. Plus it can cause problems with antivirus software. What is more, it doesn't seem to become a popular feature.

What is the purpose of remembering position of Install Tracker window?
orkwad

Post by orkwad »

Great! I can't wait for 3.4!

When you open, say, a browser, and perhaps drag the window to a certain size, or maximize it, the browser will remember the position and size. This just makes it easier to use.

When I run install tracer I like to have the trace window enlarged and open. But whenever I begin tracing an installation the trace window is minimized to the task tray by default, and if I open it it begins small and in the center of my screen. Then I need to resize and drag it to where I want it to be.

Most programs have this convenient behaviour by default, and although it a minor element, the lack of it is noticeable.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

When I run install tracer I like to have the trace window enlarged and open.
The issue is that not everybody wants it. Most users are used to default behavior of Install Tracker when they install the app in a normal way they used to. Opening Install Tracker window in its old state can be confusing ...
Most programs have this convenient behaviour by default
Uninstall Tool main window remembers its position and state :smile:
orkwad

Post by orkwad »

Steven wrote:The issue is that not everybody wants it. Most users are used to default behavior of Install Tracker when they install the app in a normal way they used to. Opening Install Tracker window in its old state can be confusing ...
Perhaps you could add an option to the system try icon right click menu called "Start Minimized" and have it ticked as default.

And if a user unticks it, the Install and Trace a Program window starts open and in the last position.

Last feature request:
  • Remember sorting displays between restarts. I like to have installations sorted by "Installed On", and I did this with the default Windows Programs and Features display. With Uninstall Tool I have to click the sort by tabs each time.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Will think it over.

Initial sorting is already implemented:
Attachments
sshot-1.png
sshot-1.png (13.78 KiB) Viewed 12588 times