We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Question regarding upcoming features

Ask, answer questions, and express your opinion about Uninstall Tool. Discussion of found bugs and problems, feature requests

Moderator: Steven

merwinsson

Question regarding upcoming features

Post by merwinsson »

Kudos for creating a great uninstall tool and supporting it well.
I would buy this product in a heartbeat if not for the lack of two very important features.
#1 Track installer changes through reboot (or even harder, multiple reboots)
#2 Track changes made by initial run of application
These are very important, as not tracking either of these will lead to incomplete uninstallation and cleanup.
I know these are VERY technically challenging issues, but given the high quality and innovation you've shown to this point, I think you're up to the task.
For what it's worth, I'll add my 2 cents here on how these could possibly be approached.
#1 Watch the startup locations for any additions, then make sure you monitor the invocation of those startup executables and add their changes to the installation log.
#2 Allow monitoring of any particular process in general, and allow the user to add the detected changes to a selected installation log (or new log).
You get these two items done and you're going to be at nearly perfect uninstall reliability.
Can you verify that one or both are slated for the next version?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Question regarding upcoming features

Post by Steven »

Hello and thank you very much for the feedback!

"Track installer changes through reboot" - it's a problem :( "Watch the start-up locations for any additions" - this is a good idea, but the problem is that system cannot guarantee that Uninstall Tool will start BEFORE these start-up items.
#2 Allow monitoring of any particular process in general, and allow the user to add the detected changes to a selected installation log (or new log).
This will be done in the upcoming update! An action like "Add new changes..." and specify an executable.

"Track changes made by initial run of application" - actually it works if the installer will run the app after installation. But yes, it also can be improved with "Add new changes...".
merwinsson

Re: Question regarding upcoming features

Post by merwinsson »

You could possibly make a "boot level" service that would run very early and catch most changes. It may not be perfect, but it would be a lot better than catching nothing.