We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Feature request: multiple control sources/speed scaling

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

cwningen

Feature request: multiple control sources/speed scaling

Post by cwningen »

I'd really like to see multiple rules for fan speeds if possible; selecting thresholds for several sensors, using whichever threshold is highest to dictate fan speed at given moment.

IE, Controlling based on ambient, battery and cpu, raising fan speed if any of these trigger.

Also, I'd really like to have an option for each that dictates whether the speed is controlled in a linear or logarithmic fashion. I'd love to have the fan speed ramped up in a logarithmic scale for GPU/CPU diodes but only linear for battery and ambient (purely examples).
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Feature request: multiple control sources/speed scaling

Post by Steven »

cwningen
Hi,

thanks for the nice idea. We're going to improve sensor-based control in future.
ioxakoyba

Post by ioxakoyba »

Is there any time frame for this feature to be implemented (multiple censor sources for single fan)? I mean this has been requested a year ago and it's an essential in modern single fan macs.

This would be extremely important feature as in the modern macs (like Macbook Pro Retina and iMac 5k Retina) there is only a single fan cooling both CPU and GPU.

Now if i set fan to be conrolled by GPU temp this may cause overheating of CPU on some cases where only latter is being stressed. And vice versa.

On the macs fan control user interface this would naturally require some changes, like a plus sign button on each fans allowing adding multiple censor profiles to be added on the fan etc. Or there should be a two pulldown menus like primary and secondary censor sources, and which censor first exceeds the set temp, would be taken account and the fan would increase spinning.

I really think this is very essential feature that should be implemented asap. Thank you!
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Absolutely, this feature is very important. But it will be implemented after Profiles only.
cTurtle98

Post by cTurtle98 »

Steven wrote:Absolutely, this feature is very important. But it will be implemented after Profiles only.
I really need this feature because I have lots of cpu and memory sensors (mac pro 3,1) and I have not been able to find a good way of controling the cpu_mem fan to keep everything properly cool
djfirefox

Post by djfirefox »

Hi,
My first post and what a fantastic app for free! Well done.
Can I say that multi sensor monitoring is the only missing little nugget.  I am a sufferer of the GPU failure on 2011 MBP and I have a new chip and this little app is one of many tricks I'm using to keep it working as long as possible.
I am using the GPU temp monitor to control fans but I would also like to use CPU overall temp as well, although on my MBP the temp of either chip seems to have a corresponding effect on the other as they share the same heatsink bridge (stupid design, well done apple)!
So even if you could add just one extra option for 'Sensor 2' would be perfect

And thanks again for such a great product, even just to monitor the temps never mind the fan control!

PS you could also add alarms for sensor temps...