We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Fan control from both CPU and GPU temp

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

ioxakoyba

Fan control from both CPU and GPU temp

Post by ioxakoyba »

Hi,

First of all I must thank you for this excellent piece of software: Macs Fan Control. This is a superb application to fix a problem with Macs' fans that generally seems to react too lazily with temps if on default system settings. (I am not sure what censor they follow in Cupertino, but I noticed that for example my Macbook Pro 13" simply get up to 100C and throttles many minutes untill the default fan ramps up to maximum of 6200rpm. With this software I can control it to run maximum in seconds, even with censor based settings.)

But I noticed a problem with the newer Macs like Macbook Pro Retina 13" and iMac 5k Retina that seem to have only a single fan inside. So there is no seperate fan for CPU and seperate fan for GPU in these new Apple hardwares, but the very same fan and heatsink cools down both of the dies.

So this leads into a dilemma: If I set Macs fan control to follow CPU temp, there may be a situation where GPU temp rises too high but CPU temp won't and the fan doesn't spin up. Also if I set Macs fan control to follow GPU temp, it's vice versa.

This leads to a problem where it is a bit risky to use this software on such Macs where there is only a single fan to cool down both CPU and GPU. So currently the only safe option is to set fan to always maximum that is not so convenient that it runs 6200rpm all the time, also on idling.

I really would like to see a feature in Macs fan control that would allow set a multiple censor sources for a single fan: You should be able to set both CPU + GPU temp for this single fan and set a seperate temp values for both. (And the fan would be controlled the one that reaches the set limits first.) So then the fan would ramp up to maximum in both situations: intensive CPU calculation as well as hard gaming stressing mainly GPU.

Do you think this could be implemented to Macs fan control in the near future (Which I think would be essential to cool down overheating rMBP's and 5k iMac's)?

Thank you very much for your excellent software!
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Feature request: Fan control from both CPU and GPU temp

Post by Steven »