We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Help Me Clear Up My Confusion.

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

chrissyb

Help Me Clear Up My Confusion.

Post by chrissyb »

Hello all,

I was delighted to find this product because for the last few months one fan in my 2009 iMac had become very noisy. I EVENTUALLY deduced this must be the CPU fan.

Just some history. I had to replace the Apple O.E.M drive for one where the automatic fan wouldn't work. It transpires I could have bought a correct drive, but already had installed the new one. I still don't really understand why some replacement drives don't work.

So for that reason I bought another fan control product, this worked but then the drive failed, and what I have been doing is disconnecting this drive. I have an SSD drive where the DVD is.

So here's the scenario.

1. I'm assuming I don't need the HDD drive fan to spin at all, so I'm disconnecting it. Is this ok?

2. Why did my CPU fan stop working normally - is there some erroneous interaction with the HDD fan? What happened to the CPU, why is it working overtime?

Hope someone will help. Basically with this product my iMac is quiet - but I'm worried I'm causing some damage. I've attached my current completely random set up...

Hope someone can help..

Chris
Attachments
stats.jpg
stats.jpg (182.15 KiB) Viewed 5376 times