We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

REALLY disable update check?

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

Is there a secret defaults write command in Terminal to really, truly disable update checks? I get an annoying update dialog every time Macs Fan Control launches, which means that my fans don't run faster after CPU-intensive bootup & login, if I forget about the update check and walk away from my Mac to get a cup of coffee while my Mac reboots and my umpteen login apps launch.

And when I am attending it, it makes me wait ten seconds to click the continue button. Grrrr!

This is despite having Check for updates automatically disabled, and Skip This Version clicked.

Why doesn't the update check do sanity checking, and see that I already have the latest version 1.2.1 for Snow Leopard?
fbl

Re: REALLY disable update check?

Post by fbl »

There is a version available specifically for OS 10.6, which dispenses with the update notice/check.
Frank Lockwood
MacBook Pro 3.1, 2.4 GHz. Core2Duo
Mac OS 10.6.8 - MFC version 1.2.1
Windows 7 SP1 32 bit Pro via Bootcamp 4.0.4033

Mac Mini 6.2, 2.3 GHz. i7
Mac OS 10.8.5
Windows 7 SP1 64 bit Pro via Bootcamp 5.1.5621
Schmye Bubbula

Post by Schmye Bubbula »

Thanks, Frank. I looked around and found it among the Legacy downloads on the main Downloads page.... By sheer coincidence, I see that it's dated this past Tuesday, the day before my post. (I wouldn't have thought to download it again in a million years, because it's the same version number 1.2.1.0 as last February's that I already had.)

I just tested it, and I confirm that the spurious update nags upon every launch under Snow Leopard are now gone.
applepiejr

Post by applepiejr »

is there any version for Windows (Boot Camp) that does not have the annoying update check?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

applepiejr
BTW Why don't you upgrade?
mateusgc

Post by mateusgc »

Yes, please is there a version for Windows that doesnt'have the annoying update check?

Steven,

Thank you so much for this wonderfull program that solves the Mac fan problem. But please, stop trying to force us to update. This should be a user's choice. Updating takes time that we may not have...
Please, if there is a version without this, even if it's a paid one, I would be happy to pay for it!

Thanks!
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

mateusgc
:smile:

ok, I'll think of it
applepiejr

Post by applepiejr »

Steven wrote:applepiejr
BTW Why don't you upgrade?
because there is no need to upgrade if it works fine... it is understood that when new versions of programs come out (regarding anything) there is a risk that support will drop for you or something will break for you without the developers realizing it.

basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

also this process takes time and sometimes i don't even have access to the internet.

of course updates are important and i would certainly check your website if i was looking for a new version. but no one wants to be nagged about it if they aren't interested.
Steven wrote:mateusgc
:smile:

ok, I'll think of it
thank you. a change like that would be great and i would start using it again!
t1mjb02

Post by t1mjb02 »

My university department has recently deployed about 80 SSDs in iMacs running BootCamp with Windows 7. Every update means that someone has to visit many of the computers since there's quite a number of steps to updating the software.

The tricky part is that MacsFanControl runs as an administrator on login and the users can't click on the continue button so the software stops running after each update. I would love for a way to disable updates on Windows or at least keep the program running without user intervention when there is an update.
--
Marc
applepiejr

Post by applepiejr »

I'm glad I'm not the only one that is frustrated about this.

I have coding experience so I decided to take a look at the code for the program to try to bypass the update check. Unfortunately based on my first few attempts I was not successful but I was astonished as to what I found when I looked at the code. It seems a large portion of code for the program is dedicated to the update check/expiration date. This ridiculous annoyance was definitely not an accident or overlooked on their part. The update check/expiration date is a very deliberate component to their program. I doubt they will reveal their true intention for this but they probably want us to keep returning to their website. This is not ethical.

If you are just as frustrated as I am you should use Lubbos Fan Control. The GUI is not as pretty and it has some bugs but once you learn to work around its shortcomings it is simple to use and far less annoying than Macs Fan Control in its current state.
mateusgc

Post by mateusgc »

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Pleeeeeease, no more auto update!!!
biktor

Post by biktor »

@t1mjb02, @mateusgc, @applepiejr, @gs2015

I don't know if it really works since I just found it, but if you use Windows, open regedit and go to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CrystalIDEA Software\Macs Fan Control\

And change:
UpdateChecker_Auto -> Set to 0 (default 1)
UpdateChecker_NextCheck -> Change the date to something like 2099

Worth a shot!
vtmacnurse

Post by vtmacnurse »

I am in agreement!!!! This is ridiculously annoying. I Uncheck the box the says "check for updates", yet it STILL bothers me for downloading updates, which usually fail and error out causing me to have to re-download it from scratch again and the usual rigmarole. I want to have it installed and NOT check for damned updates!!!!! Please fix this Crystal Idea! If you would just charge people a few dollars for downloading this software, maybe the money could go towards hiring people to code more successfully? Hope so! I'd pay good money for this!
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

We appreciate your concern and will improve the update checking code soon.
euryale

Post by euryale »

It would also be nice to spin up the fans WHILE the countdown is happening.
Blocking the spinup plus having to close the app to install the new one == DEAD MacBook Pro.
Not cool man. Tho I appreciate this software being made and is free, I think not killing the machines this is designed to protect is kinda important?
applepiejr

Post by applepiejr »

@biktor

that was a good find. but no, unfortunately it does not work. its really stupid that strings exist for update checking in the registry and editing them does not stop the message from popping up. either its terrible coding by the developers or the program has been changed over the years to force people to dismiss the message. which is dishonest.
Speedz

Post by Speedz »

euryale wrote:It would also be nice to spin up the fans WHILE the countdown is happening.
Blocking the spinup plus having to close the app to install the new one == DEAD MacBook Pro.
Not cool man. Tho I appreciate this software being made and is free, I think not killing the machines this is designed to protect is kinda important?
Any chance this is in consideration yet?
I ask due to getting yet another update notice even tho I selected DO NOT UPDATE and my fans not spinning up while the count down is happening.....
mac_user123

Post by mac_user123 »

I too would like a way to disable update checks. I set up my parent's computer, and I want to keep everything absolutely as simple as possible for them, including preventing them from being bombarded with update notifications left and right. So I turn off all auto update checking in all applications, and just pop in periodically and manually check for updates. Would love to be able to this for Macs Fan Control.  Thanks for considering.
Arnette

Post by Arnette »

mac_user123 wrote:I too would like a way to disable update on Crazy Bulk checks.
Same here, I find them very annoying when the program is running fine.
Last edited by Arnette on 22 Aug 2019, 06:12, edited 2 times in total.
kaeru

Post by kaeru »

I would also like to request that the update notification be changed somehow for windows and macos. My issue is that if you are not at the desk to click "Continue" then the program will simply not run, and the computer will begin to overheat.

At the very least, the notification that there is an update needs to be in the main interface, so it can properly start running before waiting for any user input.

Thank you for reading !