We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Feature Request: Setting to Disable Update Notification

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

applepiejr

Post by applepiejr »

I liked this program a lot, but for some reason you guys thought it would be a good idea to put some kind of automatic expiration timer in the Boot Camp program that opens a dialogue box asking to update. After your system date surpasses 3 months after the last version was released, the program will nag you to update every time you start it even if the program never connected to your server and even if there is still no newer version available. Please remove this indiscriminate "expiration date" or provide an option to disable checking for updates. I will use SMC Fan Control/Lubbo's Fan Contol until this annoyance is fixed.
Last edited by applepiejr on 07 Aug 2015, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
DreamSeason

Re: Feature Request: Setting to Disable Update Notification

Post by DreamSeason »

No offence, but why don't you do the upgrade?
applepiejr

Post by applepiejr »

because if it works fine already, there is no reason to update it. The problem isn't so much that it nags if there is a new version, but it will also nag you even if there is no new version! As I said there is an automatic expiration date that triggers based on your operating system date. Go ahead and change your current date to 6 months from now and reboot your system. The program will nag you to update simply because time has passed. I find this incredibly annoying and I've stopped using the program because of it.
applepiejr

Post by applepiejr »

also, there will be a new version by August 22nd (or before). how do i know? because that is when the program will automatically trigger to start annoying you to update. I looked through the inner workings and it seems almost half of the entire coding for the program is dedicated to this update nagging. they really want you to update, and its very annoying.
mateusgc

Post by mateusgc »

I agree.
This update is extreamelly annoying. Please developers, give us the option to choose.

How many programs do we have running at the same time in our machines? If I would stop to update them whenever there's something new it would compromise so much time from my limited day. Please change this. I can't handle click this "continue" button every single day.
step19

Post by step19 »

gs2015, simply you are an idiot! Respects the work of Steven he doesn't ask you anything for MFC.
Other comments are unnecessary.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

:shock:

step19
Thanks, it's OK, I banned gs2015
applepiejr

Post by applepiejr »

still no release with an option to disable update checking? thats disappointing. :(
mateusgc

Post by mateusgc »

OMG, pleeeeeease :O: :O: :O: give option to disable the update check.
I'll pay you 100 bucks for it!!!

OMG it's soooo anoying!!!! :O: :O: :O: :O: :O: :O: :O: :O: :O: :O: :O: :O: :O: :O: :O: :O:
applepiejr

Post by applepiejr »

seriously… the lack of action on this problem makes me question if you have any intent on fixing this.

its really really annoying. honestly i understand why someone like gs2015 would give a nasty post because its outrageous that you can't have something as simple as a "disable update checking" button. again, this is the reason i (and i'm sure many others) no longer use your program.