We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Macs Fan Control on windows 2000

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

zzzcoder

Macs Fan Control on windows 2000

Post by zzzcoder »

Edited to simplify after a recent re-install and noticing several steps are no longer needed :)

Just thought I'd pop by again to say Macs Fan Control can run with Windows 2000.

Firstly you will need to check whether you can actually find drivers for your Mac model or attempt to use XP drivers.

My model (Macbook 4,1) was bought 2nd hand so I could run "retro" music applications, so I was in luck. If anyone needs me to post the drivers for all my hardware I will happily do that here.

You will need to follow this guide to make an ISO with support for ACPI under windows 2000.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/win ... ss.202695/

After getting the install completed and your drivers working (I can't get the iSight working but everything else does - if anyone can fix this I'd be super happy) you will need the "Windows 2000 UUR" (Update Rollup with additional patches) and then "Chrome2K" tool to set the 2000 registry to windows XP. This is described in this video showing an install of firefox, follow this same method for installing Macs Fan Control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DAV_DrER6w

Finally to get Macs Fan Control to launch and work (as we have no bootcamp support and thus no information to pass to Macs Fan Control from the registry entry that BootCamp would leave)

Create a shortcut in the program folder, edit the command as:

"C:\Program Files\Macs Fan Control "/skipcheck /minimized

The "/skipcheck" part dismissing the registry and allowing direct access to the Fans.

added "/minimized" as it gets annoying having pop-ups on first boot :)

This is one of those posts that won't apply to all people and only people with a need to run 2k on Apple hardware, but I hope it helps someone.

ZZZ

:D
Last edited by zzzcoder on 25 Feb 2016, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Macs Fan Control on windows 2000

Post by Steven »

zzzcoder
WOW :smile:
zzzcoder

Re: Macs Fan Control on windows 2000

Post by zzzcoder »

Thanks Steven for the great software 8-)

Just glad I can use Macs Fan Control on my Macbook:

Snow Leopard, Mountain Lion on the x3100 chipset 8-) , and windows 2000 8-)

P.S did you see my other post on icon/font colour (I also rock dark skins for SL, ML and 2k :D )