We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

How to setup the software properly - ambien question

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

IMYB

How to setup the software properly - ambien question

Post by IMYB »

Hi, New to using this software. I have an iMac where the fans were blasting full speed. I opened the computer and found 3 wires not connected when the guy changed the HD. I connected all the wires and it was quiet for about 30 minutes then the HD fan speed started to go up and up to 4400 and going. I then turned the software to "sensor-based value AMBIENT and it went down to like 2600. Much better but I think it's still high when I look at my other iMac that runs 1700 and 113F on the HD... My concern is the 2 options on:
- temperature that the fan speed will start to increase from: (set to 73)
- Minimum temperature: (set to 91)

It looks like my AMBIENT temperature is 81F

So to me it means that because it's higher than the 73 it will always run fast? is that correct?

I attached 2 pictures so maybe you guys can point me in a good direction to keep this baby QUIET and cool since I have no idea what is HOT for a HD.
Attachments
fan_IMG_0967.jpg
fan_IMG_0967.jpg (175.2 KiB) Viewed 6589 times
fan_IMG_0966.jpg
fan_IMG_0966.jpg (190.27 KiB) Viewed 6589 times
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: How to setup the software properly - ambien question

Post by Steven »

IMYB

Post by IMYB »

Thanks for the info. I am technically challenged on some of this.. lol

I see that I have a ST31500341AS which google tells me it's this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822148337

Now, where would I find temp numbers to use? I have no idea if it's a HDD or SDD :Search:

Also, are you suggesting that I should use SENSOR BASED and then my HD and NOT ambient? I used Ambient because I saw online a bunch of people saying to use that.

Any help is greatly appreciate for my sanity! :)

Thanks
IMYB

Post by IMYB »

Ok, I decided to try the SENSOR BASED: Based on ST31500341AS

The RPM on the HD were running at 2300 on Ambient and went down to ~ 1100rpm and 42c...

After playing 30 min of video on Youtube it went to 3200rpm and 46c and it's been at this rpm & temp for 10 minutes now I am not playing anything, just idle like that. I guess it takes a while for temp to go down?

If this is correct let me know, until then I'll keep an eye on it. I just wished I knew what I was keeping an eye for since I have no idea what is HOT for a HD? lol