We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Let a fan be controlled by more than just one sensor

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

Pete248

Let a fan be controlled by more than just one sensor

Post by Pete248 »

The "smaller" and much easier to implement solution for my prior feature request. ;)
I put it in a new topic, so it is easier for readers to follow.

Currently I can set each fan to be controlled by a single sensor readout. This is fine, if the fan is only responsible for cooling this single component or if the component always is representative for the temperature of all components that are cooled by that fan.

One example, where this doesn't work, is the classic Mac Pro.

There is only one fan, the PCI fan, that is responsible to cool all PCIe cards and all the 4 build-in hard-drive bays. Each PCIe card (e.g. having installed PCIe flash storage) and each hard drive can overheat in a stress situation but I can only control the fan from the sensor of one of these components. That way it is impossible to guarantee, that all the components stay within their optimal temperature range. :(

Problem could easily be solved, if you would allow an advanced settings panel, where I can set more than one (ideally unlimited) sensors for a fan. Each with min. and max. temperature.

Macs Fan Control would then use the sensor, whose current readout is closest to its maximum to set the fan speed.

Would be a great improvement, if you could add this to Macs Fan Control.

Best regards

Pete
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Let a fan be controlled by more than just one sensor

Post by Steven »

Pete248

Re: Let a fan be controlled by more than just one sensor

Post by Pete248 »

Hi Steven,

yes, it is almost the same. In fact the OP is even asking for more, like logarithmic fan speeds.

I'd like to stress, that for me it is important, that you allow arbitrary sensors to be mapped to a single fan. Only a subset like CPU + PSU + one hard-drive wouldn't work in the classic Mac Pro, as there are already individual fans for these 3 components.

I primarily need the ability to map multiple SMART sensors (aka. hard drives) to a single fan.

I second, that I'd be fine with a paid Pro Version, if that would allow you to put more resources into the development of the software. Noone can spent a lot of time or hire additional developers without any revenue.

Best regards

Peter