We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

RegisterTaskDefinition failed after 1.4.3 update

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

wolfo

RegisterTaskDefinition failed after 1.4.3 update

Post by wolfo »

Hi,
I've been running MFC on Windows 10 for a while now. Yesterday I was reminded there's an update to 1.4.3 and I chose to download and install. At the end of the installation process, I get the following message:

Code: Select all

RegisterTaskDefinition failed: : Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden.
(System can't find this file)
mfc1.png
mfc1.png (18.44 KiB) Viewed 6767 times
I get it a second time after clicking OK.
When finishing and running MFC, I'm getting the message again.
Apart from getting this error every time I reboot or restart MFC, it seems to work fine. I tried quitting, uninstalling and reinstalling MFC, but to no avail.

During the first installation of this new version, I noticed that MFC was still runnning in the background and the installer complained that it couldn't do some part of the install. I didn't pay too much attention at the time and I don't know the message. But I guess it might be related. I thought the installer would automatically quit MFC before installing the update.
fbl

Re: RegisterTaskDefinition failed after 1.4.3 update

Post by fbl »

Frank Lockwood
MacBook Pro 3.1, 2.4 GHz. Core2Duo
Mac OS 10.6.8 - MFC version 1.2.1
Windows 7 SP1 32 bit Pro via Bootcamp 4.0.4033

Mac Mini 6.2, 2.3 GHz. i7
Mac OS 10.8.5
Windows 7 SP1 64 bit Pro via Bootcamp 5.1.5621
wolfo

Re: RegisterTaskDefinition failed after 1.4.3 update

Post by wolfo »

Well, the error you posted is similar, but not the same:
Logon failure vs. can't find file
Also, I understood that the fix was already included in the last build. But maybe latest build != latest release.