We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

optimizing cpu usage

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

yevgyeni

optimizing cpu usage

Post by yevgyeni »

I'm running macs fan control on a little 2012 Mac Mini server running 10.11.5, and when I run Activity Monitor, I find that the app is consuming about 5-7% of my cpu. That seems excessive for a little app like this. What should the normal usage be? Is there any way to bring it down to the 1% or less range?

I've attached screenshots of the statistics screens.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 12.31.51.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 12.31.51.png (64.71 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 12.31.38.png
Screen Shot 2016-07-05 at 12.31.38.png (47.63 KiB) Viewed 4445 times
djjd

Re: optimizing cpu usage

Post by djjd »

I can confirm that not only does Macs Fan Control appear to use an unnecessary amount of CPU given the job it does (as much as it does that job very well :smile: indeed,) it proceeds to consume more and more CPU time the longer it runs on the machine. I have to quit and restart the app periodically (every day or two) otherwise it becomes the main consumer of CPU time and the main reason the fans need to spin up.

EDIT for context - This is on an always-on late 2009 iMac 27 which acts more or less as a central server for the house. Its usual work is low-cpu in nature, hosting file shares, Sonos, etc. I also use it for remote work days and today Macs Fan Control was higher in the Energy view of Activity Monitor then either my VPN, RDP, or GoToMeeting clients, and GoToMeeting is a CPU hog. If system details, logs, etc. would be of help, the developer can PM me and I'll be happy to provide.