We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Max RPM changes

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

KONG

Max RPM changes

Post by KONG »

Does anybody know why the maximum fan speed values change every time I reinstall the app? They are usually random numbers and also a lot of the time below the fan speed that I want to achieve. I know that the fan speed for the CPU can surpass 4000rpm but the maximum speed I can set is currently 2463rpm. Sometimes when I set it to 'Auto' is goes above 2463rpm but I cannot manually set it above this. Is there a setting which caps the maximum speed... only thing is it's strange that the maximum value changes when I reinstall.

With the recent heat and working in a conservatory I get direct sunlight on my iMac and I like to keep an eye on temps and give it a short blast when temps get too high. I know there is an 'Auto' setting but I prefer to manage it myself.

Thanks in advance
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Max RPM changes

Post by Steven »

Sometimes SMC subsystem changes max RPM when SMC thinks it's needed.
KONG

Post by KONG »

Thanks

How do I set the maximum rpm to a higher value than the current 2463? I know it can go higher as the slider had a maximum of over 4000rpm at one point
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

MFC doesn't allow to change max RPM at the moment.