We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Northbridge Temp Not Showing

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

circuits

Northbridge Temp Not Showing

Post by circuits »

I have a 2009 Mac Pro w/ 2010 Firmware and x5690 Dual-Xeon upgrade. I am able to see Northbridge temperature in OS X but not using this software in Windows.

I keep having shutdowns during heavy rendering use (heavy on CPUs). Temperature logs show no abnormalities, nor does Windows Event Viewer.   The only thing I can't see is Northbridge. I remember seeing Northbridge temp on Mac Fan Control on a screencap from some blog somewhere and had shrugged off my not being able to see it at the time.

There is a common point of failure on Mac Pros at the Northbridge heatsink clips weakening over time. Also, if there has been overheats, the thermal paste may be compromised and may need replacement at this point.

I am unable to replicate the shutdown conditions under Mac OS. SolidWorks does not have a Mac version.

If there is a "neckbeard mode", command line interface, or plain text code/config file I'd like to know. I see in the log it mentions .cpp files, but I can not find those.

Thanks for helping!
circuits

Re: Northbridge Temp Not Showing

Post by circuits »

Nevermind. It's called IOH Diode and IOH Heatsink.
I found North Bridge temp when I installed AIDA64 and it correlated to the IOH temp.