We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Fan Control not available

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

sharc

Fan Control not available

Post by sharc »

When I try to modify fan speeds on my Mac Pro 3.1, I get a request for an admin password. When I type in the admin password, I get this dialog box: "Fan control not available. Macs Fan Control could not connect to the helper app to enable fan control as well as adjust the speeds. Make sure to enter and administrator password when asked." I can't seem to get past this issue, regardless of reinstalls, etc. Any thoughts?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Fan Control not available

Post by Steven »

Hi,

Did you move the app to /Applications?
sharc

Post by sharc »

Thank you! I had it stored in the User/Applications folder. Moved it to /Applications and it's working perfectly now.
frederico@mac.com

Post by frederico@mac.com »

Hi, 

This made me nuts for more than an hour, trying to safe boot, repair permissions, disable SIP, etc. Hardwiring an app's resource path is a huge no-no on a Mac.

It is trivial for an app to poll the system to find its own location, and open resources based on that variable.

Macs Fan Control is a *UTILITY*, not an Application, and belongs in the Utilities folder, or wherever else I choose to bury it so other users of the computer aren't messing with it, nor bothered by it. Please fix this in a future release.

Thanks for an otherwise super-useful app; the death of HDD Fan Control led me here. Donation forthcoming.

Cheers

F