We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Kernel_task issue

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

PSMDanny

Kernel_task issue

Post by PSMDanny »

Hi,

earlier this year I had problems with my fan and had a company over here to clean my iMac from the inside (dust etc). When opening my Mac there was not much dust in it but the guy cleaned whatever he could. He installed Mac fan control to reduce the fan noise. Seemed like it worked great. From that time my Mac was getting slower and investigation leaded to the result that kernel_task (search google) was raising my cpu usage so high that my Mac stopped from functioning normal from time to time.

Last week it was so slow that I decided to delete everything on my harddrive and do an OS re-install. After the re-install everything seemed to run smooth (no kernel_task issue anymore) but the fans where so noisy that I decided to install Macs Fan Control again. And guess what: kernel_task issue was back again. Can you please help in assisting and solving this issue? It's driving me crazy and I don't want to invest in a new Mac to get back to work again! If needed I like to pay for it!

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
Danny
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Kernel_task issue

Post by Steven »

Hi Danny,

I should probably put this question into the FAQ. When mac thinks that cooling is not efficient then it raises CPU usage of Kernel_task.

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control/faq