We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Preset profile for late-2009 27" iMac i5

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

fnankivell

Preset profile for late-2009 27" iMac i5

Post by fnankivell »

My iMac was recalled for the defective HD and since it was replaced, of course I have the fans running at top speed all the time. Macs Fan Control is THE solution, but I have no idea what settings I should be using for optimal performance and with no risk of damaging the HD.

Do you know where I should be looking to find specs specific to my iMac model? Would be nice if you could provide preset profiles for various Mac models.

Thank you!
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Preset profile for late-2009 27" iMac i5

Post by Steven »

Well,

You have to look for specs of your new HDD to get min/max temperatures for it. And make HDD fan to run in relation to this temperatures (sensor-based value)

The most important parameter is maximum working temperature. If we assume it's 50 degrees Celsius, it's reasonable to set fan speed increasing temperature to something like 43 (for example).

It's also important to monitor temperature/fan values after modifying fan controlling algorithm.

I'd be glad if you could share here your HDD specs and results achieved with Macs Fan Control. Please also provide us with results of Copy Technical Info button in Macs Fan Control. And program screenshot

Update:
So there can't be presets for such task. Min/Max RPM speeds are displayed in Macs Fan Control

Update 2:
Technical documentation for Macs Fan Control will also appear on this website