We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Feature request: run at startup before login (for all users)

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

NoisyiMac

Post by NoisyiMac »

Thank you for the wonderful app!

A feature request: a way to launch the app at startup, BEFORE the login screen on systems with multiple user accounts?

Right now, my wife & I share an iMac. I have the app installed as one of my login items, and she does not. When the iMac is booted, and sitting at the login screen, the fans will scream until I login. If no one logs in, the fans continue to scream indefinitely (iMac is set to auto reboot after power failure). If my wife logs in first, they will also continue to scream because she does not have Macs Fan Control installed.

I tried moving MFC to /Library/StartupItems/ but received an error msg: "Insecure Startup Item disabled".

Thanks again!

--
MFC 1.06 on Mountain Lion 10.8.4
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Launch app at startup for all users BEFORE the login screen?

Post by Steven »

The idea is good, I'll see what I can do about it. Thanks
NoisyiMac

Post by NoisyiMac »

Just a friendly nudge, wondering if you've had a chance to check to feasibility of the above feature request? (Ability to launch MFC at startup before the login screen on macs with multiple user accounts--reason given in original post)

Once again, I've tried moving the latest version MFC 1.1.5 to /Library/StartupItems/ but received an error msg: "Insecure Startup Item disabled".

Thanks for considering

--
MFC 1.1.5 on Mountain Lion 10.8.5
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

NoisyiMac
thanks for getting in touch and for more information.

Yes this feature is planned but not sure if I could make in the nearest updates.
boogieted

Post by boogieted »

I too would like to echo the need for this feature. Just converted my 2009 iMac to SSD and this free program is a godsend. Like the OP, I have multiple users and a login screen where the fan runs high. I have installed the MFC program for each individual user, but that doesn't solve the issue of the Mac sitting at the login screen.
Thanks!
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Hi,

I understand it's an important feature, and it's planned, maybe for 1.3. Can't give some time constraints for that, because implementing this for both Mac & Windows is technically rather tricky.
wolfeye78

Re: Feature request: run at startup before login (for all users)

Post by wolfeye78 »

I have 3 accounts on my iMac using windows 7. I am the administrator and did install the software to keep the temp. low at all times playing games etc. It works flawlessly and I am really satisfied with this software doing exactly what I want from it.
But...
When logging in as any of the other two accounts (with no admin prev.) the software do not start. I can manually start it from the start menu but only with admin password.

I want the software to start and run regardless of which account that's being used. Even better if it starts before anyone logs in.

If this allready is possible somehow I would really like to know how.
And if (or when) it is I would also like it to be so that only admin can change settings or shut it down so that the kids doesn't f**k things up.

Thanks for the best mac fan control application!!
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

wolfeye78
I understand you concern, it will be done with time.
uruiamme

Solved (hack): run at startup before login (for all users)

Post by uruiamme »

I was able to make this work, but it was pretty difficult to figure it out. The developer needs to write a system service for Windows that can be run at system startup. With the service started, another (regular) application can make calls to the system service and edit its settings. There are not many good free tools to convert a regular program to a service.

Here is what I did... the short version because I am in a hurry. I made it work by using Task Scheduler for two tasks. I run the program at startup and used an administrator account. This fails to give you the tray icon, but it will run with the proper settings even if a standard user logs in.

When the administrator logs in, the 2nd task kills and then start the program. This enables the system tray icon for that user session.

This is a hack. Please get a better solution!
wnfaknd

Post by wnfaknd »

Hey Steven,
Any news on this?
Any way to make the program run before any user logs in? Like a daemon.
Blueline205

Post by Blueline205 »

Me too - After the recent upgrade. Macs Fan Control won't run unless a user is logged in. Annoying.
g1l1t1

Post by g1l1t1 »

Steven wrote:wolfeye78
I understand you concern, it will be done with time.
Steven,

We know you have an actual life to live, outside of CRYSTALIDEA and Macs Fan Control :D, but after 2.5 years since you replied to wolfeye78, is this any closer to happening?

Thanks!