We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Feature Request: Fan Profiles

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

foozelz

Feature Request: Fan Profiles

Post by foozelz »

Macs Fan Control is probably the best application out there that helps with the cooling of my MacBook Pro. But I was wondering if you can implement a way to put profiles in, so that if I wanted to, I could click a profile that says "Rendering" and it would set the RPM and it would stay at that RPM until I go back and click the controlled preference.

EDIT: Also, is there a way to set the min RPM above the minimum? So instead of 2000 for the MBP, I could set it to 2300 RPM.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Feature Request: Fan Profiles

Post by Steven »

Hi,

Thanks, yes! This is number one feature to be done soon.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Scheduled for 1.2 version
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

In progress
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Sorry, scheduled for 2.0 version :(
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Nice idea for further improvement: app-based profiles that switch automatically when certain apps run
sappa

Post by sappa »

I find that multiple profile are a nice idea. App based profile are useful but the usage of some app has a very changing load for the cpu (eg Photoshop). So I suggest to implement manual profile in order to let the user set the RPM.
Three profile are enough: default, medium and high. The RPM for each can be modified from the user.
Finally the user change the current profile by left-clicking on the menu bar icon-> profiles-> and then he get it 8-)

Another suggestion (that is OT i knew) is to remove the C or the F letter from the menu bar. The menu bar even if you have a 27' iMac, it is short. So I think that deleting that letter it wont be confusing.
And the last I promise, the temperature font size could be bigger, just a little be :oops:

Thanks a lot for the must to have app :Bravo:
not in Nottingham
spmetas

Post by spmetas »

Steven wrote:Nice idea for further improvement: app-based profiles that switch automatically when certain apps run
+1

currently I use program Palua, which switches Function keys to Function or Normal brightness/volume mode depending on program running. Thus on Terminal, VNC or RDP I always have Function keys without need to press Fn.
Also I noticed that there are GPU or CPU hungry programs, detecting which could prevent from Temp rise before fans actually goes up.
johndough247

Post by johndough247 »

I Would love to see both app-based and manual profiles as I (and most likely some other people) have a need for both (Using a 2010 12-Core Mac Pro)

In OSX, I do music production and would rather have the fans increase RPM only when crucial to reduce background noise when possible, and to keep the tower quiet for light use, so I think an always-on fan manual profile (with a graph based approach similar to overclocking Windows apps like MSI afterburner) would work here. I haven't encountered overheating issues yet, but I do feel the default apple profile takes longer to kick in and would rather start more aggressive cooling at a lower temp to keep my computer's parts from failing over the long run.

In Windows, I do some gaming and would rather an app-triggered profile (again with a graph, but not as necessary here) to run when certain always-intensive games are executed. Again, this machine helps pay the bills and would like to keep in running strong for longer (plus I live in the Tropics, room not always A/C) so cooler temps are key.