We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

anytoiso for Mac crashes

Ask, answer questions, and express your opinion about AnyToISO. Discussion of bugs and problems found in AnyToISO, feature requests

Moderator: Steven

espri

anytoiso for Mac crashes

Post by espri »

I have just bought and downloaded anytoiso for Mac (and Windows) but my first attempts to use it have not been successful. I wanted to convert a ca. 750GB dmg image of a disk from a QNAP NAS. On the first attempt a message came, something like "Checking file", but then the program just crashed. Since then any further attempt just crashes immediately.

I am using OS X 10.9.5 on a late 2013 iMac.

I have attached a file with the crash data sent to Apple.

Can you help? Thanks.
Eric
Attachments
20141014 Crash data from anytoiso for Mac.txt
Crash data on attempt to convert 750GB dmg image.
(55.68 KiB) Downloaded 1880 times
espri

Re: anytoiso for Mac crashes

Post by espri »

Having now looked at the post about 'Converting Large .dmg files', here's some more information that may be useful:

The .dmg image was made using dd from a disk mounted using a Digitus USB-SATA adapter via the Paragon extFS driver. The disk has, I believe, 4 partitions formatted as ext3, Linux Swap, ext3, ext3.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

espri
Could you please share this DMG file to fix the crash?
espri

Post by espri »

All 750GB? My (wireless only) broadband acess is only 10GB/month. How do you suggest we go about this?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Oh..

AnyToISO supports only HFS+ formatted DMG files, images created by dd are not DMG files are already RAW images of corresponding drives. There's nothing you can convert them into.

Update: fixed crash so now it will report an error. New version with this fix will be available soon
espri

Post by espri »

I suppose that means that even the new version won't help me. I think you should make that restriction in anytoiso (only HFS+) clear on your web site.

I have just discovered hdiutil and am now trying to use that to do the conversion, as described here: http://osxdaily.com/2007/03/28/easily-c ... es-to-iso/ (hoping eventually to mount the volume under VMware). We shall see later if the results help me at all.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Actually we have this info at:
http://www.crystalidea.com/anytoiso-supported-files
http://www.crystalidea.com/dmg-to-iso-c ... dmg-to-iso (in the bottom)

I doubt it's possible to get ISO out of dd image. Looking forward to hdutil results
espri

Post by espri »

I think you're probably right about the images I've been trying to use. I certainly have had no success with them.

More recently I have turned to trying to mount the original disk via a Digitus USB-SATA adapter on a Ubuntu Linux running on my Mac under VMware Fusion. To date that hasn't worked either, though the VM does recognise the adapter (as a JMicron USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge).

The only thing that gives me a vague hope that there might still be something to recover from the disk is that, when attached to the Mac, Disk Utility does show four partitions (ext3, Linux Swap, ext3, ext3), so it looks as though the partition table still exists. Also I have recovered ca. 1700 audio files from the .dmg image, using Disk Drill. Sadly, though, I am actually missing around 10,000 tracks from my iTunes library.

Anyhow, thanks for your help.