We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Getting "Do you want to run this file" warning every time

Top popular freeware SpeedyFox
TechHarmony

Getting "Do you want to run this file" warning every time

Post by TechHarmony »

HI, Thank you for SpeedyFox.

I notice that everytime I wish to run it, I get the Windows warning: "Security Warning. Do you want to run this file?"
I have finally UN-checkmarked the "Always ask before opening this file".

When I click on the "Publisher: crystalidea.com" it shows a Digital Signature info panel which lists Jan 02, 2011 for a time stamp, and a status of "This digital signature is OK."

Should I take any different action than un-check (un-tick) mark the "Always ask" option when I try to startup SpeedyFox?

I ask because most of the other programs I run, which I have downloaded from internet, do not show this Windows Security Warning.
A very few do (I think), but even with those, I do not remember ever un-checkmarking the "Always ask" option, and they just do not warn again anyway.
So SpeedyFox is different somehow in always asking.

Windows XP Pro SP3, 2 GB RAM, Sony Vaio PCVRS530G.
SpeedyFox 1.6. Firefox 3.6.18.

I can post or send a few screen snaps if that would be useful.

Thank you.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Getting "Do you want to run this file" warning every time

Post by Steven »

Dear sir,

Try to copy the 'speedyfox.exe' binary to another folder (C:\Program Files\ for instance) and run it from there.
TechHarmony

Post by TechHarmony »

Hi,
Thanks for suggestion.
I had it in: "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\SpeedyFox-1.6.exe" which I think is just as good, but will try something.
However, since I already yesterday clicked the box to Un-tick the 'Always ask' question, now it just starts up right away without the warning alert.
However #2, I also had the previous version SpeedyFox 1.5.46 which I had never un-tickmarked. (also in Firefox folder) So I copied it from Program Files\Mozilla Firefox to just Program Files. But it made no difference -- still asks about the Warning after taking what seems 10 seconds or so to think before the warning comes up.

To investigate,
I opened up small tool ADS Manager (Alternate Data Stream Manager) and it shows that the older version 1.5.46 has an ADS stream named Zone.Identifier (26 bytes) identifying it as "ZoneId=3".
And the newer version, which I told it to no longer Warn/ask, shows it has no Alternate Data steam.

So my thinking is that original warning was because of the tag-along invisible ADS of zone 3 that Windows is compelled to always warn about, and when I un-tickmark, telling it to not warn then that removes that ADS stream.
I confirmed this by copying again the older, un-tickmarking the Warn ask message for it on new first run, and now the ADS of zone 3 has been removed from it because subsequent runs of this copy start instantly without the warning message.

Further, buy copying the original (with ADS zone 3) to a Flash drive which is FAT32 (no ADS support) the ADS of zone 3 is silently stripped from it. Thus I never noticed the warning when running the SpeedyFox after copying from a flash drive.

Guess I will have to keep an eye on when that happens from downloads.

The other thing that may be a factor, is that the file download from your site is the actual .exe, so that is probably when the ADS file gets tacked on as part of the download process, by either Windows (XP Pro) or the Browser (FF) or some system level component.
I am guessing that if the SpeedyFox (windows version) was available as a zip file, and I downloaded then expanded that, it would never have the ADS zone 3 and would thus not ever get the warning.

sorry for writing so much.........
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Dear sir,

Thanks for the feedback.

The alternate stream is created by Windows in order to identify the file that was previously download from the Internet.
Try that:
http://www.crystalidea.com/downloads/speedyfox.zip
TechHarmony

Post by TechHarmony »

HI,

I downloaded the zip file version you linked. Unpack it and save to desktop (in this test, unpack via both Windows Explorer, and 7-zip, to same effect), double-click to run and it opens instantly without any warning message.

ADSManager shows the unzipped Speedyfox.exe has no alternate data stream - so nothing there for the Windows warning to notice and complain about.

That seems to be the solution, provide the exe program in a zip archive and Windows does not find any need to tack on the ADS zone 3 identifier, thus the zipped download never prompts for the Warning message.
I would recommend that you provide for a zipped version for Windows users to download.
As a plus for you, the zipped version is about 6% smaller than the exe, so would save you a tiny bit of download traffic. ;)

Thank you for the help on this. :D
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Dear sir,

You're welcome, thanks for the feedback!