We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

SpeedyFox Portable

Top popular freeware SpeedyFox
smaragdus

SpeedyFox Portable

Post by smaragdus »

Hello there and happy holidays.

There is one thing I do not like about SpeedyFox- it cannot be run in portable mode. I tested the PortableApps package of SpeedyFox but I did not like it because it starts much slower compared to the original program.

I would like to suggest either a separate portable version of SpeedyFox which saves its settings inside program folder or if there is a file preferences.xml inside program folder SpeedyFox should use it and should not create a new one in AppData (C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CrystalIdea Software\SpeedyFox\preferences.xml).

Regards
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: SpeedyFox Portable

Post by Steven »

Hello, smaragdus
SpeedyFox is a portable app, it stores PC-dependent settings in the "preferences.xml"
smaragdus

Post by smaragdus »

SpeedyFox is a portable app, it stores PC-dependent settings in the "preferences.xml"
Yes, I know that SpeedyFox saves settings in preferences.xml but not inside its folder but in AppData which doesn't mean portable for me- it would be portable if SpeedyFox was able to store settings in its own program folder.

Regards
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

smaragdus
What if you place the app on a USB flash drive, run it on the first PC it save its settings to the XML, after that you run the app on the second PC that needs its own version of settings. That will cause problems
smaragdus

Post by smaragdus »

Settings can always be changed while polluting other people's machines is not an option for me. You may not know but some developers create portable versions of their programs. Anyway, I deleted SpeedyFox and won't use it any more, problem solved.
Happy holidays.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

smaragdus
I will delete this thread as well. Thanks