We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Files size is big again after running Firefox

Top popular freeware SpeedyFox
crystenbryn22

Files size is big again after running Firefox

Post by crystenbryn22 »

Firefox 9.0.1

Loading Firefox 9.0.1 loses all savings made in bookmarks.

I was hightly impressed with Speedyfox when it saved a massive 10mb in places.sqlite but on re-loading Firefox to test it out all the savings had been aborted and Firefox reverted back to how it was before running Speedyfox.

I have uninstalled Speedyfox now but thought it only fair to let you know that it does not work at all for me with Firefox 9.0.1. I do not use the later versions of Firefox 10 and 11 because they keep crashing on me.

Firefox 11

EDIT:
I did a test with Firefox 11 and the same problem occurred.
Closed Firefox 11 and Speedyfox saved 13mb in total. Places.sqlite file size was 2240kb.
Loading Firefox 11 and places.sqlite file size back up to 10,240kb.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Speedyfox doesn’t work at all for me in Firefox 9.0.1 or 11

Post by Steven »

crystenbryn22
SpeedyFox does not interfere in Firefox internal mechanisms. So we can do nothing with places.sqlite file.
crystenbryn22

Post by crystenbryn22 »

Steven wrote:crystenbryn22
SpeedyFox does not interfere in Firefox internal mechanisms. So we can do nothing with places.sqlite file.
I only used places.sqlite as an example of the savings made as that was the largest but all the other files including database files (chrome / content / add-ons)? were also reverted back on re-load.

I really do not understand. If Speedyfox does not make changes to the 'internal mechanism' why does it still report these savings? If places.sqlite cannot be changed why does it still show a massive saving to that file alone? Surely it should not touch that file from what you say.

I would be quite happy to give it another try if you could explain exactly what files I would expect to see a reduction in size and then I can check before and after file sizes.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

crystenbryn22
SpeedyFox main idea is not decreasing files size but doing VACUUM on databases to improve their usage speed.
http://www.crystalidea.com/more-about-speedyfox
crystenbryn22

Re: Files size is big again after running Firefox

Post by crystenbryn22 »

Quote from your more about page:
Databases are optimized to operate faster and are decreased in size.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

crystenbryn22
Aren't they?
crystenbryn22

Post by crystenbryn22 »

Steven wrote:crystenbryn22
SpeedyFox main idea is not decreasing files size.
Databases are optimized to operate faster and are decreased in size.
Aren't they?
So, the idea is not about decreasing file sizes but file sizes are decreased anyway. I take it that the process is similar to defragmenting a file system?

I do not know how I am going to find out if the process is working for me if there is no benchmark in which I can determine a speed increase. The newer versions of Firefox are fairly fast anyway and I did not notice any appreciable increase in start up time or response times after running the process.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

crystenbryn22
Here's a detailed explanation
crystenbryn22

Post by crystenbryn22 »

Steven wrote:crystenbryn22Here's a detailed explanation
Thank you very much for that link. It was a little bit technical but gives a good insight into what it is all about.

I am sorry to labour the point but can you just help with this final point which I raised earlier .......
crystenbryn22 wrote:I really do not understand. If Speedyfox does not make changes to the 'internal mechanism' why does it still report these savings? If places.sqlite cannot be changed why does it still show a massive saving to that file alone? Surely it should not touch that file from what you say.
I accept what you say about 'places' but I just cannot get my head round why Speedyfox should open places.sqlite in the first place. It is the final summary listing the file savings which includes places.sqlite which I cannot understand and why it would save 8mb in places.sqlite.

Thanks for your time.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

crystenbryn22
I think that more information can be get here
crystenbryn22

Post by crystenbryn22 »

I have read on the internet that newer versions of Firefox automatically carry out vacuuming during idle time so this may possibly explain why I am not finding a change in the file sizes after running Speedyfox.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

It looks like it could be a reason