We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Macs Fan Control (OS X) disappeared and Macbook overheated

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

ai_enabled

Macs Fan Control (OS X) disappeared and Macbook overheated

Post by ai_enabled »

Hello!
First, I don't want to blame anybody. But the issue is really dangerous for the hardware.

The Macs Fan Control application seems to disappeared from Applications folder (right, I just booted my Macbook and there was no app! Nobody deleted it, I'm sure as only me using the computer). Not sure when this happens, I did notice it only when my Mac was so-o-o hot I can even cook my palm on it - fans didn't turn on when needed and it seriously overheated :-( ...
Previously I has the same issue when I downloaded and installed Macs Fan Control 1.2.1 with autoupdater - soon the app mystically disappears from Applications folder. And my Mac was overheated...

I've an idea why this may happens - there are may be issue with the autoupdater part of the Macs Fan Control, which is removing original app and replace it with updated app. Please investigate it!
Another idea why it may happens - today I've installed 10.10.2 OS X update... It seems the Macs Fan Control disappear after that, not sure. I did reboot after update installation and then the issue suddenly appears.

And one more thing. I did notice that Macs Fan Control upon exit didn't restore original (firmware-controlled) settings for fans. Could you add this feature please, it would be a great safety improvement. For example, sometimes I reboot to Ubuntu which didn't have Macs Fan Control, and the fans stuck on 2000 RPM, so the Macbook became overheated quickly and then (if I notice it!) I need to reboot to OS X and set Macs Fan Control settings to Auto mode and then reboot back... Also, for example, there are may be problem with OS X setup, and the user will be need to reinstall OS X completely, but the fans will stuck on 2000 RPM until he/she install OS X and Macs Fan Control, so the hardware most likely will overheat...

Regards!
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Macs Fan Control (OS X) disappeared and Macbook overheated

Post by Steven »

I've an idea why this may happens - there are may be issue with the autoupdater part of the Macs Fan Control, which is removing original app and replace it with updated app. Please investigate it!
Maybe. Was it in the core of /Applications or some subfolder like "Utilities" ?

And one more thing. I did notice that Macs Fan Control upon exit didn't restore original (firmware-controlled) settings for fans.
Do you mean to reset all fans to Automatic mode?
ai_enabled

Post by ai_enabled »

Steven wrote:
Maybe. Was it in the core of /Applications or some subfolder like "Utilities" ?
It was in the core of /Applications.
Steven wrote:
And one more thing. I did notice that Macs Fan Control upon exit didn't restore original (firmware-controlled) settings for fans.
Do you mean to reset all fans to Automatic mode?
Yes, reset all fans to Automatic mode on exit and then restore them to the user-selected settings on the application startup.
hummel

Post by hummel »

I have the same issue. Although Macs Fan Control is still listed in Applications the icon has dropped off the toolbar and the app refuses to open. Second time it's done it. Any thoughts? Kind of worrying.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Workaround: locate Macs Fan Control in Activity Monitor and kill the process
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201464

hummel
Did it happen after the update to the latest version?
ai_enabled

Post by ai_enabled »

Hello!
It happens again - Macs Fan Control suddenly disappeared and my Macbook overheated again. I cannot find Macs Fan Control in the Applications folder where it was. Nobody other access my Macbook.
It seems it happens during the autoupdate procedure.
Are there any log file which could help us understand why it happens?
Regards!
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

ai_enabled :(
I will take a look at the auto update code
pigsound

Post by pigsound »

hi,

i am facing the same problem. first i thought the fan got noisy due to the significantly risen temperatures during the last days, but since the mac fan control icon has disappeared from the menu bar and starting the app has not succeeded (and the temperatures have lowered again), i suppose there must be some bug with the app.
the control app has the change date may 23 2015 and i think since then the fan got noisy. therefore the update seems to have caused the problem somehow. i use an imac build 2006 with osx 10.6.8, macs fan control version 1.3.0.0.

should i deinstall the app and download it again and install? what else can i do to make the app work properly again?

thanks in advance for your help!
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

pigsound
The problem is that you updated to version 1.3 that is not compatible with 10.6 thus it doesn't start
pigsound

Post by pigsound »

ah - ok. but i did not update knowingly. did it update automatically? if so, can this be turned off?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

pigsound
No it doesn't update automatically
pigsound

Post by pigsound »

thank you for your fast replies!
i just have reinstalled the version that works with osx 10.6.8 and sweet silence is back again.
:smile: