We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Hysteresis behaviour on thresholds

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

ad3angel1s

Hysteresis behaviour on thresholds

Post by ad3angel1s »

Hi,

A thing that I've noticed is a lack of an hysteresis threshold behaviour, e.g.

if you set temperature controlled thresholds, with min - max equal to [75, 85] degrees, you will see that the fan speed starts raising at 75 and will reach its maximum at 85, then it will shut down again when temperature gets again under 75; at this point the stuff gets reheating again and when you go above 75 the cycle begins again...

...it would be nice to have an hysteresis behaviour to avoid continuously adjustment, e.g.

you start the fan at 80 and reach the maximum at 85, then it will still be at maximum level until it gets lower than 75. In this way you reduce the number of times the fan starts/stops.

Thanks,
Antonio
DreamSeason

Re: Hysteresis behaviour on thresholds

Post by DreamSeason »

Thats why I set the fan a fixed RPM.
ad3angel1s

Post by ad3angel1s »

Setting the fan is not really the solution, isn't it?

I think that also the original fan policy on OSX has some kind of hysteresis set.
DreamSeason

Post by DreamSeason »

ad3angel1s wrote:Setting the fan is not really the solution, isn't it?

I think that also the original fan policy on OSX has some kind of hysteresis set.
But that's not good enough to be honest. The policy apple uses is that they try as hard as possible to not turn on or speed up the fan .
ad3angel1s

Post by ad3angel1s »

DreamSeason wrote:

But that's not good enough to be honest. The policy apple uses is that they try as hard as possible to not turn on or speed up the fan .
I agree on this, on OSX it reaches 85/90 DEG before turning the fan on.

It would be nice anyway to emulate this kind of behavior with adjustable temperature thresholds by the user.
DreamSeason

Post by DreamSeason »

ad3angel1s wrote:
DreamSeason wrote:

I agree on this, on OSX it reaches 85/90 DEG before turning the fan on.

It would be nice anyway to emulate this kind of behavior with adjustable temperature thresholds by the user.
Basicly, if I am using AC, I would normally set the fan to a fixed RPM. If on battery, I would return to the auto provided by Apple.
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

ad3angel1s
Do you also have MacBookPro12,1 ?
ad3angel1s

Post by ad3angel1s »

Steven wrote:ad3angel1s
Do you also have MacBookPro12,1 ?
Hi, I have a MacBookPro8,2 but i run it on Windows 8.1 exclusively
(OSX goes randomly on kernel panic due to an issue with the swithing between integrated and discrete GPU so I had to ditch it)