We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

1.1.12.2 does not seem to work at all

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

Bence123

1.1.12.2 does not seem to work at all

Post by Bence123 »

Hi there,
Have started experiencing increased fan noise in the past few days on an iMac 7,1 running OSX 10.9.2. I just installed the software v1.1.12.2, restarted, reset SMC, no error messages, the software just does not seem to reduce my HDD fan speed, which is constantly up around 1575 RPM w HDD temp around 47C. Fan starts making noise over 1450 RPM. Tried setting constant RPM to 1300, no effect, tried sensor-based control by slightly modifying temperature limits... also without success.
Is there anything I missed?
Thanks for any help in advance,

Bence
screenshot_14.jpg
screenshot_15.jpg
Bence123

Re: 1.1.12.2 does not seem to work at all

Post by Bence123 »

Added screenshots as requested... sorry I just noticed, hope they help.
Thanks,

Bence
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Does MFC change fan speed of other fans?
Do you have any other software installed?
Bence123

Post by Bence123 »

Hi Steven,

What I see now, as opposed to earlier, is that MFC controls all three fans wonderfully, except that it won't bring the HDD fan below 1570-1580, and it starts making noise over 1450. I don't know what could have changed, the only change I remember recently is a Java update.
I don't have any other software installed for this purpose currently. Before I tried MFC I had a go with the demo version of HDD Fan Control and SSD Fan Control simply because I ran into them first, but I believe I have removed all remnants of these two apps after finding that they did not work. I stuck with MFC because it seemed to me that it should work... and alas it does, only not for what I need it for (?). Could there be something I forgot to clean out after the previous software? Or could it be that its not the fan making the constant humming noise but the HDD? After turning on my Mac, it's OK for a while, and gradually the humming starts to increase as the fan speed goes up and the HDD heats up from room temp (around 22C) to 47C. If I speed the HDD fan up to around 3000, it makes a different, sort of hissing-type noise, not the low-pitch hum that constitutes the problem. Come to think of it... when I change the HDD fan speed the humming does not change much at all, while extra noise does appear at higher speeds. May not be the fan after all... Thanks for your time,

Bence
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Bence123

Post by Bence123 »

Quick update:

The source of the noise was the CPU fan, which constantly runs at max due to high GPU temperature. The overheating problem (GPU temp 90-100 C) is probably the result of my graphics card cooling system not working properly. Most likely the cooling medium is gone through some undetected minor leak... I have had this machine since 2007 after all. I cleaned out my iMac of accumulated dust, but the problem persisted. I will probably have to order a new graphics card with a new heat sink attached. The only vendor I found was welovemacs.com. Thanks for your help, 1.1.12.2 does work after all :), I can turn the CPU fan down to get rid of the noise, but then my GPU temp starts increasing beyond where it already is... which does not seem like a good idea.
All the best,

Bence
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Great!