We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Feature Request: Update Notification Reform

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

Iron Man

Feature Request: Update Notification Reform

Post by Iron Man »

The 10 second countdown before being able to 'continue' is somewhat of a hassle. 2 or 3 seconds would be just fine, or even better, none.

I think I understand the reason for the countdown: to make sure the user realizes there's an update. If you still want to have this countdown, I would like to request that the fan controller starts and remains running before the notification appears.

I've recently had a problem with a Mac overheating and thermal-shutting down because Macs Fan Control wasn't running. It wasn't running because the Dec 1st update was released, and the person either clicked "website" or (accidentally) "exit" instead of waiting for "continue" to become available. During the time where it wasn't running, the Mac had all sorts of weird crashes before doing a thermal-shutdown.

To reduce confusion, I would also suggest that the "Continue" button be changed to "OK" or "Not now", and add an "Update" button that would either download the update or automatically install it... or at least take you to the website. (Blue text links in GUIs are out this season. lol)
Optionally, "Exit" should changed to "Quit" or "Quit Macs Fan Control" or something more obvious. ("Exit" is the Windows version of OS X's "Quit" which, on a Mac, could be mistaken for a "close this update window" function.)
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Feature Request: Update Notification Reform

Post by Steven »

Iron Man
It will be improved in future versions, don't worry.