We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

What's the algorithm for MFC when using sensor-based option?

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

DreamSeason

What's the algorithm for MFC when using sensor-based option?

Post by DreamSeason »

Hi, first of all. Great appreciations for this awesome app. After playing with it for several days, I found something interesting.
Fist, as the title lies, I know that when current sensor's temperature is below the start rising value, it would stay in the minimum fan speed. And same goes with maximum situation. So my question is what MFC uses for altering fan speed when fan speed start rising?
Thanks. :D
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: What's the algorithm for MFC when using sensor-based option?

Post by Steven »

hi, DreamSeason
We use our own algorithm that is unlikely to be published. Why do you ask?
DreamSeason

Post by DreamSeason »

Steven wrote:hi, DreamSeason
We use our own algorithm that is unlikely to be published. Why do you ask?
Oops. I don't know it's so secretive. The reason I asked this it that I think it needs a little improvement. At first, I thought it would be linear between those two values set by user. After some tests, it seemed it was not.
Anyway, I think the fan speed respond slowly to the temp changes. Maybe it's doing some average calculating background. But I think it's slow as well. Maybe you could decrease the interval between fetching the temperature reading. :D Just so you know, I am a die-hard fan of MFC even though I just installed it for several days on my 2015 13" rMBP. :D I just want to give you some feedbacks. Hope it would bring in improvements :)
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

DreamSeason
It's linear but "respond slowly to the temp changes" this is true unfortunately.

It's in the TODO:
http://forums.crystalidea.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1027
DreamSeason

Post by DreamSeason »

:D Good to know it's in the schedule. But why is that we can't improve the responsiveness? Apple limits the read attempt in a given period of time?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

Not it doesn't limit. Slow responsivenes comes not because of slow reading but because of weakness of our algorithm (mustn't be linear but use differencial)
DreamSeason

Post by DreamSeason »

Steven wrote:Not it doesn't limit. Slow responsivenes comes not because of slow reading but because of weakness of our algorithm (mustn't be linear but use differencial)
I think I'm gonna throw in a new feature request :D
When using the constant fan speed, is it possible to allow user to set a maximum temp so that hitting above the temp fan speed will no longer be kept but increasing to meat the needs for high temp? :D