We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

1.3.1 update not updating

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

mcmiller

1.3.1 update not updating

Post by mcmiller »

Previous updates installed, but this one not yet, or I forgot what to click on your perpetually unintuitive and utterly confusing notification... clicked "continue" and panel of old version opened but nothing else. Downloaded update but it did not overwrite on dragging to App Folder, just made a copy. Can't trash the old one obviously, because it is running while computer is on ... also selected "skip this update" yesterday, and still you commandeered the app this morning running my fan at full speed to alarm me (for which I hate this app more than any other—show me the notification and please leave my fan alone!). Also, there are no instructions on the download page for installing over the previous version ... I found a number of complaints for this in the forum followed by promises to fix it ... still waiting. So how do I get 1.3.0 out and 1.3.1 in? [iMac OSX 10.9.5]
mcmiller

Re: 1.3.1 update not updating

Post by mcmiller »

Since no one else bothered to explain this, I guessed my way through it ...
1) When the notification first appears, select the website link and download the appropriate update. At this point you can't trash the old app as it is in use from startup.
2) Restart, or on your next start up, the notification will appear again since you have not yet installed the update. This time select "EXIT". This will turn off the old app and the fan icon will disappear from the menu bar.
3) Now you can trash the old version from your Applications folder,because it is not running (the computer probably reverted to the Apple control)
4) Drag the new update file you already downloaded into your Applications folder.
4) Restart and the fan will now be controlled by the new version