We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

MFC - Crash, Memory Leak Issue!

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

Spicy.Mike

MFC - Crash, Memory Leak Issue!

Post by Spicy.Mike »

Hey Guys,

First time poster here. Encountered an issue and would like to follow up on it to atleast have it be made aware (if there were no prior posts) and potentially find a fix. I remember the days of no Fan Control for early Bootcamp and barely getting SMC Fan Control program working reliably, then moving onto this, I love Macs Fan Control.

-- Issue: Memory Leak After Single Application Crash --
Occurrence Rate: Regularly/Consistent but not based on any known timings (maybe once every other day). Sometimes after a D3D Game?
Precursor: App crashes by itself (while minimized/sys tray). Clear all related processes if need be, restart App. No abnormal/notable issues beforehand.
Result: App restarts, all functions work as normal, however, Memory Leak and scales steadily and probably indefinitely. Regular Mem Usage is 4k at most.
Current Solution: Fully Restart Computer
Unknown: Why program crashes in the first place. Or, why program crashes then restarts with a memory leak.

Macbook Pro 15" Late 2011. Win 7 x64 Ultimate.

- Anyone have this issue or know what to do? Just my personal guess is that after using a custom fan profile and kicking fans up/down then 6200 max for a while, it hits some weird update error during another program that causes it to crash entirely.

- I noticed that sometimes both sides of the fan will not be synchronized even with same min/max temp profiles as one side is displaying wrong number and I have to cycle through the min/max temperature then press enter again to have it sometimes give the real values for the fan. Aka, RFan 5000, LFan 4700, RFan is experiencing a small hang-up/error/stuck then must go through profile re-enter (or just switch a number or so) values to unstuck the RFan. Maybe something related?

- Lastly, it would be awesome to have control over Read Time Frequency of Temperature, Fan Updates, like 0.5 Seconds, 1.0 Seconds, 1.5, 2.0, etc.

Thanks!
Attachments
MacFanMemLeak.PNG
MacFanMemLeak.PNG (65.46 KiB) Viewed 4637 times
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: MFC - Crash, Memory Leak Issue!

Post by Steven »

Spicy.Mike
We're aware of this Windows crash. It's somehow connected with a tray icon, currently it's not reproducible :(

If you talk about memory leak, please provide us with some numbers that change with time.
Spicy.Mike

Re: MFC - Crash, Memory Leak Issue!

Post by Spicy.Mike »

Hey.

I'll keep an eye on it and note when it crashes. For me it has always crashed after a full screen big application or steady max fan usage, never when sitting in low-mid range or light-medium usage.
And it simply scales indefinitely and consistently hah. I forgot to restart my computer yesterday and saw usage was at 73,xxx. Next time, I'll record the numbers.

Thanks man.