We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Can't get Macs Fan Control to work

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

Carbon

Can't get Macs Fan Control to work

Post by Carbon »

When starting up my iMac 27" (late 2009) running El Capitan Macs Fan Control asks for my password to install additional software. After typing my password I get a message stating that the fans are already under control of another software.

I reset the SMC but I still get the error message. I had SSD Control installed but I uninstalled it (made sure to delete the LaunchAgent and the Startup Item). Still no success. Funnily enough, until yesterday Macs Fan Control worked without a problem.

Does anybody have an idea what else I could try?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Can't get Macs Fan Control to work

Post by Steven »

Carbon
Try to uninstall and reinstall the app again.
Carbon

Re: Can't get Macs Fan Control to work

Post by Carbon »

As I couldn't figure out how to uninstall MFC (as it is a self-contained app without an installer), I simply deleted the old app, downloaded a new one and now it finally works.

What I did different is: I put the new copy directly into the Applications folder, whereas the older one was in a subfolder of the Utilities folder.

Maybe that caused the error (I didn't try it out, I'm just enormously happy that it works again as the loud fans were slowly driving me crazy).

Thanks for your help.