We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

HELP with Mac Pro Recommended Settings & Mappings

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

gette

HELP with Mac Pro Recommended Settings & Mappings

Post by gette »

Hi...

I have spent hours looking around for recommended temperature thresholds min-max as well as recommended MacsFanControl Mappings.

I have a MacPro 4,1 with Quad 2.66 and GT 120 running 10.11 w 12gb RAM.
But soon upgrading to Hex Core 3.X and another graphics card after the holidays.

Anyway every once in a while my fans will just start to sky rocket (prior to MFC). I don't game or do anything crazy. PhotoShop is about the max I do.

So I got MFC and left it on auto (didn't make any changes to I could see the sensors) I can see what is going on and occasionally (a couple times a week) the fans would max (BOOSTA, INTAKE & EXHAUST). It would stay that way (before and with MFC) until I restart, even if I closed all apps, etc. Yes I did a PRAM & SMC reset.

So seems there are some built in temp thresholds min-max for various sensors, yet I don't know how correct these are. Also I'm not sure what the best mappings for the fans are.

I have been playing around with all kinds of things, but want to keep this as quite as possible, yet ramp up the CORRECT fans based on the CORRECT settings, ONLY when needed.

Hope this makes sense and someone has some good info.

Thx Guys!
gette

Re: HELP with Mac Pro Recommended Settings & Mappings

Post by gette »

Here is my idle, fresh start up with basic apps, safari windows and mac mail, etc.
Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 7.19.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-11 at 7.19.53 PM.png (116.33 KiB) Viewed 5330 times
gette

Post by gette »

Don't all jump in at once.

It's hard to keep up with all of these helpful responses.

:(
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

gette
Unfortunately I don't have this Mac Pro :(

PS. only the 2013 model