We have discontinued this forum and moved support tickets to the GitHub issue tracker. More info

Suggestion - remap HDD sensor

Control fans on Apple hardware: iMacs, Macbooks, etc

Moderator: Steven

rodti

Suggestion - remap HDD sensor

Post by rodti »

Hi there,

Firstly I love this product and it's been a great help, thanks very much for your efforts!

One thing I'd find really useful (and I'm sure others would too) would be to remap another sensor so the system thinks it's the HDD.

On 2009/10/11 iMacs where the hard drive has been replaced with another make or with an SSD the original HDD temp sensor can't be used, and while your app does pull the SMART temperature straight from the drive some SSDs (such as OCZ) don't provide a SMART temperature.

Using the temperature from another sensor, for example LCD proximity, and providing it to the system as the HDD temperature would presumably allow you to set all fans to Auto and allow Apple's SMC fan profile to take care of things like a stock machine?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Re: Suggestion - remap HDD sensor

Post by Steven »

Hi,

But there a way of doing that? I'm no aware of any
rodti

Post by rodti »

HDD Fan Control seems to have that functionality, but has a hideously overcomplicated interface and is really expensive!
rodti

Post by rodti »

Another idea, and I'm just thinking out loud here, is to find out what the original Apple profile was and use those values. Is there any way to find out the min/max per sensor that the original Apple profile for a machine uses?
Steven
CrystalIDEA Developer

Post by Steven »

HDD Fan Control does pretty the same thing as sensor-based control in MFC.
http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control-help

Another idea, and I'm just thinking out loud here, is to find out what the original Apple profile was and use those values. Is there any way to find out the min/max per sensor that the original Apple profile for a machine uses?
Not possible. A fortiori when you change a drive to another model.